Hello! It’s Megan from Homemade Ginger and I hope you enjoy this easy winter craft that I’m sharing today!
The time between New Years and Valentine’s Day can be rather depressing, especially if you live in a colder climate! The thrill of the holidays are over, it’s cold and dreary outside and there isn’t much to look forward to. Instead of getting down, I try to immerse myself and my kids in some creative activities. One thing that we love to do is make paper snowflakes. They are so addicting to make because each one looks a little different.
I decided to come up with a snowflake that can also be a suncatcher. These look so pretty hanging on a window as the winter light shines through the colorful tissue paper. They are slightly more difficult to cut than paper, but the end result is so beautiful that it’s worth it! Just imagine a whole bunch of these snowflake suncatchers on a big window!
These snowflake suncatchers only require 2 materials – tissue paper and contact paper. This is a great way to use up that leftover tissue paper from the holidays! Experiment with different color combinations to make each snowflake truly unique.
Here is what you will need to make the suncatchers:
- Tissue Paper
- Contact Paper
These look so pretty when the light shines through them!
- 1 sheet tissue paper (any color)
- 1 sheet contact paper (clear)
- Cut or tear tissue paper into small squares or pieces. Place the tissue paper pieces onto the sticky side of a square piece of contact paper. Cover the square.
- Lay another square piece of contact paper (sticky side down) on top of the tissue paper pieces. Press down to smooth out any bubbles. The squares should be the exact same size.
- To create your snowflake, start by folding your square in half, creating a triangle.
- Fold it in half again to create a smaller triangle.
- Lastly, fold the two sides towards the center of the triangle, so the left side overlaps the right. It should now resemble a flat cone shape.
- Trim the top of the cone shape so it's rounded and not straight across.
- Cut small shapes out of the folded sides of the triangle.
- Unfold the cone to reveal a beautiful snowflake!
- Smooth out any folds and hang the snowflake on a window with some clear tape.
These snowflake suncatchers are so fun to make and are such a beautiful twist on paper snowflakes!