My kids are picky. Like, really picky. For the last 6 years I have been trying to decode the craziness of their little appetites to figure out what on earth they’ll actually eat. Luckily (and not surprisingly) pizza has always gone over really well. So these mini dish dish pizzas were a huge hit! And I’m not going to lie, they tasted amaaaazing!! I wasn’t sure how they were going to turn out, but they were delicious! All warm and gooey and cheesy. Mmmm…
When my 6 year old was a baby she LOVED lima beans. Just raw lima beans out of the can – she would eat them by the handful! On her first birthday, we gave her a piece of cake and a giant pile of lima beans beside each other on her high chair tray. She poked at the cake, looked at her finger covered in icing, and then whined for us to wipe it off her hands. And once we did, she gobbled up the lima beans in a flash. She did eventually eat the cake, but we really had to work to warm her up to the idea.
When our second daughter (the middle child) turned one, she celebrated with her favourite food PIZZA! She was just a year old, with barely any teeth and we gave her a whole piece of pizza at her party and she gobbled it up. Since then, pizza has been a staple in our house. It’s one of the only things I can guarantee our picky little eaters will actually eat.
When my oldest daughter got home from school, she saw the leftover mini pizzas on the counter and couldn’t wait for dinner to try them! Every 5 minutes, she would call out “Can I have a mini pizza now?”, but I made her wait. When dinner rolled around, she ate three of the little mini pizzas, my four year old ate two, and we think our 18 month old also ate two. He kind of ripped them into a dozen pieces, mushed them up and made a gooey mess, but I’m pretty sure a good portion of it went into his mouth.
Deep Dish Mini Pizzas
These mini deep dish pizzas are delicious! We gave them to the kids for dinner, but they’d make a great lunch or an awesome appetizer. We topped them with cheese and pepperoni, but you can add your favourite toppings. The crescent roll dough makes a perfect pizza crust! (Who knew!?) You’re definitely going to want to try this easy recipe!
The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post, but here’s what you’ll need:
- One container of refrigerated crescent roll dough
- One small can of pizza sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Mini Pepperoni slices (I sliced them myself from small pepperoni sticks)
Open the crescent roll dough and lay it out flat on a cookie sheet. If you want small mini pizzas like I made, use a plastic cup, small can or mason jar lid to cut out 12 little circles. If you want your mini pizzas to be more like mini pizza muffins, cut the dough into 12 squares (or rectangles).
Spray the muffin tin with cooking spray and put the dough in the bottom of each cup.
Add a layer of mozzarella cheese on top of the dough. This helps keep the dough from getting soggy.
Next, spoon some pizza sauce on top.
And spread it out over the cheese.
Then add another layer of cheese.
And finally, add your toppings! I added 5 pepperoni pieces to each mini pizza. Just remember, if you add more toppings, you might need to add a couple minutes to the cooking time.
Bake the mini pizzas for 15 minutes until the cheese bubbles and the crust becomes golden brown.
Mmmmm… cheesy goodness!
These were sooooooo good when they came out of the oven! The two layers of cheese gave them all that gooey melted cheese deliciousness! Three bites and they’re done! I could have eaten half a dozen right then and there! Mmmm…
- 1 package Crescent Roll Dough
- Mini Pepperoni Slices (or slice them yourself from mini pepperoni sticks)
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 small can of Pizza Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Lay the crescent roll dough on a cookie sheet and cut out 12 circles (for the mini pizzas shown in the photos) or 12 squares (if you want larger pizza muffins).
- Place the dough at the bottom of each muffin cup. If you cut them into squares, overlap the corners so the top edge is even.
- Add a layer of cheese, a spoon of pizza sauce to cover the cheese, another layer of cheese and your favourite toppings.
- Bake at 375F for 15 minutes until the cheese starts to bubble and the crust is golden brown.
- Let them sit for 5 minutes before pulling the mini pizzas out of the muffin tin.
These deep dish mini pizzas are SO EASY to make and they taste amazing!! They make a great lunch, dinner or you could even serve them as an appetizer! Make them with your favourite toppings to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters!