These yarn hat ornaments are SO CUTE and they’re unbelievably easy to make! Tie scrap pieces of yarn around a toilet paper roll to create these festive mini winter hats. No sewing or knitting skills required!
These DIY Christmas ornaments, made with dollar store supplies, look adorable hanging on the tree! They’re a great winter craft for birthday parties, holiday parties, or for seniors craft groups! Make one in your favourite colour, or create one in the colours of your school or favourite sports team.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission which helps us run this website.
How to Make Yarn Hat Ornaments
Check Out The Video Tutorial:
Step 1: Find what you need
- Gather your supplies and materials.
Step 2: Measure and cut the yarn
- Cut 40 to 50 pieces of yarn that are 11 inches long.
- The easiest way to do this is to wrap the yarn 20 - 25 times around an 11 inch cutting board or a piece of cardboard.(You could also wrap the yarn lengthwise around a ruler to get 12 inch pieces.)
- Cut the loops on each side to end up with 40 to 50 pieces of yarn the right length.
Step 3: Cut the toilet paper roll
- Measure 3/4 inch in from the end of the toilet paper roll and mark all the way around it with a pen.
- Use a craft or utility knife to cut through the paper roll along the pen marks.
Step 4: Attach yarn with a lark's head knot
- Fold one strand of yarn in half.
- Put the loop through the paper roll.
- Bring the ends of the yarn over top of the paper roll and thread them through the loop.
- Pull the yarn ends tight and adjust it so the yarn around the roll is snug.
Step 5: Add the rest of the yarn
- Continue adding yarn to the roll, pushing it so the yarn strands are close together.
- Add more yarn until the entire roll has been covered. Make sure there aren't any bare spots where the paper roll will show through.
Step 6: Shape the yarn hat
- Crumple up a small piece of tissue paper to make a 1-1/2 inch ball.
- Place the tissue paper inside the paper roll, pushing it up a bit. This will create the hat shape that you'll tie in the next step.
- Take another piece of yarn and tie it around the yarn strands above the tissue paper ball, about 1-1/2 inches above the paper roll.
- Now remove the tissue paper and push the yarn inside out through the paper roll, creating the knit hat look.
- Trim the ends of yarn that stick out from the bottom of the hat.
Step 7: Attach pompom and ornament hanger
- Add a small dot of hot glue to the top center of the hat.
- Place a pom pom in the hot glue.
- Take another piece of yarn (cut a piece to around 8 - 9 inches if you don't have a strand left) and double knot the center of it around the base of the pompom.
- Tie the ends of the yarn strand together to create an ornament hanger.
- Your yarn hat ornament is complete!
- 1. We also tried this craft with paper towel rolls, and the cardboard wasn't as strong as the toilet paper rolls. Either type of paper roll will work, but the toilet paper rolls were a lot easier to cut and held their shape better with the yarn.
- 2. If you don't have tissue paper you can also use a cotton ball or kleenex to shape the ornament.
How much yarn do I need to make one mini hat ornament?
It takes about 15 yards (45 feet) of yarn to make one yarn hat ornament.
How many ornaments can you make from 1 toilet paper roll?
You can make about 4 to 5 ornaments per toilet paper roll.
The paper rolls we used were 4-1/2 inches long, which works out to exactly 6 cuts of 3/4 inch – but if you have jagged cuts that you may need to straighten out it’s best to give yourself some wiggle room.
What size are these winter hat ornaments?
Our yarn hat ornaments have a 1-1/2 inch diameter and are about 2 inches tall.
What size pom pom looks best on mini hat ornaments?
We used 15 mm pom poms for the tops of our hats, but you can use whatever size you like best!
What if I don’t have the right size pom poms?
You can use the yarn strands to make your own pom pom! Instead of hiding the ends of the yarn strands inside hat, push them through the paper roll before tying them together.
These yarn hat ornaments are so simple and they turn out so cute! Hang them in the Christmas tree or tie them together as a garland. They also work as doll hats or they make a fun addition to the top of a gifted bottle of wine!
Here’s even more winter craft ideas:
Our book Low-Mess Crafts for Kids is loaded with 72 fun and simple craft ideas for kids! The projects are fun, easy and most importantly low-mess, so the clean up is simple!