Hello! It’s Megan from Homemade Ginger and I’m back with the cutest paper craft ever! These 3D paper hot air balloons are perfect for a handmade card that is sure to impress anyone who receives it!
We see hot air balloons in our area all the time. There seems to be a lot of them especially in the fall as the leaves are changing color. What an amazing way to see all of the colorful fall leaves! My kids love to try and chase the hot air balloons in the car while we are driving. If we have nothing better to do, we will try to drive around and see exactly where they are coming from. We usually give up hope and come home but it is still such a fun memory for the kids.
While the thought of a hot air balloon ride sounds amazing, I don’t think I would ever be able to actually participate in one since I am deathly afraid of heights. However, they are just so colorful and whimsical that I had to come up with a hot air balloon craft! These 3D paper hot air balloons and clouds are so cheerful and look just perfect on the front of a handmade card. Make these in the fall or even spring. They would be perfect for anytime of the year.
I was inspired by these hanging hot air balloons but I wanted to make mine so that they could be turned into a card! All you need is card stock, scissors and some glue to make these amazing 3D hot air balloons and clouds. We loved making ours with patterned paper to make this craft extra cheerful and whimsical but stick so solid colors if you prefer.
Paper Hot Air Balloons
Here’s what you will need to make your paper hot air balloons:
- Card Stock – A Variety of Colors
- White Card Stock
- Blue Card Stock
- Glue Stick
- Black Marker
Make as many or as few hot air balloons and clouds as you wish!
It really doesn’t get much cuter than this for paper crafts. We know that you will love making this one and giving it to someone you care about!
Paper Hot Air Balloons
- Begin by folding a sheet of card stock in half. Next, cut out half of a balloon shape along the fold.
- Repeat step 1 so you end up with 4 balloons. If using patterned paper, make 2 solid and 2 patterned.
- Glue one side of a patterned balloon to one side of a solid colored balloon, alternating them to create an accordion shape.
- Keep gluing until all 4 pieces of paper are attached. Make as many balloons as necessary.
- Fold a piece of white card stock in half and cut half a cloud shape along the fold. Cut as many as you want. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the clouds are attached and have an accordion shape.
- Glue the balloons and clouds onto a rectangular piece of blue card stock, for the sky. Next, cut a small rectangle out of patterned paper in a contrasting color and glue down a few inches beneath each of the hot air balloons. This is the balloon basket.
- Use a black marker to draw 2 lines attaching the balloon with the rectangle to form the basket and ropes.
- Your paper hot air balloons are complete!
These 3D paper hot air balloons are SO adorable and easy to make! You will love turning this into a handmade paper card that is sure to impress anyone!