Hello! I’m Megan and I blog over at Homemade Ginger where I love to share all about modern craft tutorials, home decor projects and the occasional recipe that make life a little more beautiful.
Can you believe that the Christmas season is already here? As I was walking into Costco with my daughters last week, we were bombarded with holiday lights, giant wreaths, moving reindeer and more. My 8 year old exclaimed “we barely got through Halloween and now it’s all about Christmas! What about Thanksgiving??” I had to laugh because it was such a grown-up comment to come out of her mouth. I’ve gotta admit, there is something magical about all the festive decor that gets me in the mood every year, even if it’s well before Thanksgiving. Needless to say, I’m excited to already be whipping up some Christmas crafts and I have a fun one to share with you today!
I’m all about holiday decor that is easy to create and can be done very inexpensively. Last year, I made a giant DIY Christmas wreath out of a hula hoop for a big impact on a small budget. However, this time around, I’m loving the small decor details like these adorable little elves.
When thinking about some easy Christmas decor ideas, I came across some tutorials for pinecone elves, like these from Martha Stewart on Pinterest. I thought these little guys were so adorable, but would be even cuter as a garland! I was also thrilled to come up with a DIY decor project that is easy enough for kids to help make, but also cute enough to proudly display in your home.
One of my favorite things about these elves is how versatile they are. Not only can they be tied on the tree for an ornament, but you can also tie them on some twine as a garland. You could even just set them out and let the kids play with them!
How To Make Pinecone Elves
The full printable tutorial is at the end of the post, but here’s what you will need:
- Small Pinecones
- Wooden Balls
- Hot Glue Gun
- Black Paint or Black Fine Tip Sharpie
- Small Bells
Such a cute and festive way to spruce up your space and add some holiday cheer!
Hang these little guys anywhere you want to add some festive charm into your decor!
It’s such a simple little project that can really add some personality into your home this Christmas season.
How To Make Pinecone Elves
- Glue Gun
- 1 small pinecone
- 1 wooden ball
- 3 sheets felt (1 red, 1 green, 1 white)
- 1 tiny jingle bell
- craftpaint/sharpie (black)
- twine (for garland)
- Using felt, cut out the shapes needed for the hat, scarf and shoes. Each elf will need two heart shaped pieces for the feet, a rounded triangle for the hat and a long skinny rectangle for the scarf.
- With hot glue, attach the wooden ball onto the top of the pinecone.
- Fold the rounded felt triangle in half, and add a tiny bead of glue down the seam to form the hat.
- Attach the tiny bell to the top of the hat and glue the bottom of the hat onto the wooden ball.
- Wrap the felt scarf around the head and attach with more hot glue.
- Glue 2 heart shaped pieces of felt together for the shoes and attach to the bottom of the pinecone with hot glue.
- Add 2 tiny dots of paint for the eyes, then glue a piece of string to the back of the hat.
- Tie the elves onto a piece of twine for a garland or directly onto the tree for an ornament.
- Your Pinecone Elf is complete!
I just love how these little elves turned out. They can add such a charming detail to any room this holiday season. I can picture them hanging across the mantle, in front of a mirror or even on a wreath!
If you’re looking for more fun and easy Christmas craft ideas, be sure to check out our Popsicle Stick Christmas Trees! They are super cute and the kids loved helping me make them!