These Halloween clay pots are SO CUTE! Celebrate the fall season in a non-scary way with clay flower pots painted like Halloween characters. So fun!
Halloween Painted Pots
These adorable painted Halloween clay pots were inspired by our Halloween Wooden Spoons! We loved those characters so much, we wanted to re-create them in a clay pot craft.
There are so many fun ideas for Halloween themed pots. We painted a jack-o-lantern, a ghost, Frankenstein, a black cat, and a vampire. You could also make a mummy or a monster!
Transform plain dollar store flower pots into fun Halloween themed pots with a simple coat of paint! These painted clay pots make super fun candy bowls, but they’d also look great with succulents or other plants in them.
Check out our Halloween Clay Pots video tutorial:
*Note: Scroll down for the step-by-step photo tutorial.
Looking for more Halloween crafts? Here’s a few of our favourites:
Here’s what you’ll need:
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission which helps us run this website.
The full printable instructions are at the end of this post, but here’s a list of products on Amazon and Target that are similar to the supplies we used:
How many coats of paint do I need?
We found 1 layer of acrylic paint covered the clay pots well! It will depend on the paint you are using, so feel free to paint a second coat as needed.
Do I need to seal the pots?
If you’re planning to use these Halloween clay pots outside in the garden you should definitely apply a spray sealer to protect the paint. For indoor use you can apply a coat of mod podge, or just leave them as is like we did.
How to Paint Halloween Clay Pots
Step 1: Paint jack-o-lantern pot
- Begin by using the large paintbrush to paint the entire outside of the pot orange.
- Now paint the top edge of the pot and the inside rim of the pot orange as well.
- Once the paint is dry (about 20 minutes), use a pencil to draw a jack-o-lantern face on the side of the pot.
- Fill in the pencil drawn lines with black paint using the small paintbrush.
Step 2: Paint ghost pot
- Paint the pot white, in the same way you painted the jack-o-lantern pot.Draw on two eyes and a mouth, then paint them with black.
Step 3: Paint Frankenstein pot
- Paint the whole pot green and then add a zig zag pattern on the outside rim of the pot in black paint. Paint the inside rim black as well.
- Draw the Frankenstein face with thick rectangle eyebrows, round eyes, a rounded line for the nose, and a mouth and scars with little vertical lines.Paint the eyes white with little black pupils. Paint the rest of the features black.
Step 4: Paint black cat pot
- Cut out small triangles from black craft foam for the cat's ears.
- Paint the pot black, and add cats eyes, a little triangle nose, connected curved lines for a mouth, and whiskers.Paint the eyes yellow, the nose purple, and the mouth and whiskers white. Add black vertical lines to the eyes for pupils.Use tacky glue to attach the ears inside the rim of the pot.
Step 5: Paint vampire pot
- Paint the pot purple. Then paint the pot rim black and add an upside down triangle for the widow's peak.Draw two round eyes, thin eyebrows, a curved line for a nose, and a mouth. Add fangs and a small bowtie for his cape.Paint the eyes and fangs white, adding black pupils. Paint the mouth, nose, and eyebrows black. Paint his bowtie a nice bright red.
- Your Halloween clay pots are complete!
These painted clay pots are so inexpensive to make and they’re such fun Halloween decor. Line these pots up on the mantel or use them as homemade centerpieces for a Halloween party. You could even fill them with candy, wrap them in cellophane and give the clay pot candy jars out as party favours!
Here’s even more fun Halloween crafts:
Our book Low-Mess Crafts for Kids is loaded with 72 fun and simple craft ideas for kids! The projects are fun, easy and most importantly low-mess, so the clean up is simple!