Download our FREE gnome hat pattern! This DIY gnome hat is SO EASY to make, no sewing skills required. Simply cut the hat from felt, using our free, printable pattern as a guide, and glue the hat together.
This human sized gnome hat is perfect for wearing as part of a Halloween costume, for dress up play, or for a costume party. Follow our simple step by step tutorial and you’ll be wearing your hat in “gnome” time at all!
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission which helps us run this website.
DIY Felt Gnome Hat
Check Out The Video Tutorial:
Step 1: Find what you need
- Gather your supplies and materials.
Step 2: Arrange and cut out the pattern
- Print out our free gnome hat pattern. Read below for printing instructions.
- Arrange the pieces of the pattern so the lines meet and they make the hat shape.
- Tape the pattern together.
- Cut out the gnome hat template.
Step 3: Trace and cut out the hat
- Place the pattern on top of the felt and trace around it using chalk or a tracing pencil.Optional: Pin the paper to the felt to make sure it doesn't move.
- Don't forget to mark the little corner piece to cut off.
- Cut out the hat shape, using the chalk as a guideline.
Step 4: Glue the hat together
- With the rounded part of the felt in front of you, fold over both sides so that they just overlap.
- Lift up the top piece and add a line of hot glue to the other edge, all the way up the hat.
- Press the top piece of felt back down, into the glue. Hold it in place until it sticks well.
- Add glue near the top point, making sure it's well connected.
- Press down over top of the freshly glued section to keep it in place.Repeat for any other areas, as needed.
Step 5: Add a flower accent
- Flip the hat over so that the seam is at the center back.Snip off the flower's stem, as close to the back as possible.
- Add a generous amount of hot glue to the back of the flower.
- Press the flower into place, close to the bottom side of the hat.
- Your gnome hat is complete!
- For a fun addition to your gnome costume, attach a faux fur beard to the sides of the hat!
- If your gnome hat is slipping out of place, glue yarn inside the hat so that you can tie it beneath your chin.
- Use the same concept and pattern and scale it down to make gnome doll hats!
Download a free gnome hat pattern:
Click on the link below to download our free, printable gnome hat template! The PDF file will open in a new window. Then print the template on 8.5 x 11 (letter size) printer paper.
To print the pattern you must use the free program, Adobe Acrobat Reader. Under the “Page Size & Handling” section, select the “Poster” option. This will print the template in real size, across 6 pages that you can piece together.
What size head does this gnome hat fit?
This felt gnome hat pattern makes a hat that’s 26 inches around at the bottom. This should comfortably fit heads that are 20 – 25 inches around. Feel free to adjust the pattern by drawing it a bit larger or cutting it a bit smaller.
How else can I decorate my felt gnome hat?
We like the look of a faux flower on our gnome hat, but there are lots of ways you can personalize your hat. If you’re handy with a needle and thread you can stitch or embroider a pattern on the felt before you glue the hat together.
Or to keep this gnome hat a no-sew project, clip a decorated hair barrette to the brim. You can also glue on a ribbon border or attach felt shapes (like stars or circles) in a complimentary colour. You can also add a pom pom to the top of the hat!
This gnome hat is SO EASY to make, and our printable pattern is totally free and ready to download. Cut out and glue your felt hat together and add a fake flower to decorate it — or personalize it however you’d like!
Here’s even more felt craft ideas:
Our book Low-Mess Crafts for Kids is loaded with 72 fun and simple craft ideas for kids! The projects are fun, easy and most importantly low-mess, so the clean up is simple!