Show Dad he’s simply the best with this Father’s Day pop-up card! This homemade card, made with two pieces of cardstock, is colourful, cheerful, and so much fun!
This pop-up Father’s Day card has a real “wow factor” to it, and it’s SO EASY to make! Choose Dad’s favourite colours and impress him with a twist and pop card that’s perfect coming from either a son or a daughter!
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission which helps us run this website.
DIY Father's Day Pop-Up Card
- 2 pieces Cardstock (2 different colours)
- Glue tape
- Cardstock letters (or stickers)
- Black marker
Check Out The Video Tutorial:
Step 1: Find what you need
- Gather your supplies and materials.
Step 2: Fold the card and make the pop-up mechanism
- Choose one colour of cardstock (blue, for us). This will be the main part of your card.Fold the piece of cardstock in half and cut along the fold line. Set one half aside for later and fold the other half in half again. This will be your card!
- Take the other half of blue cardstock and fold it in half lengthwise. Open it up and cut along the fold line.Discard one half and fold the other piece in half lengthwise. Open the last fold and fold it in half crosswise.
- Open this piece again and fold the top right edge down so that the vertical center line matches up with the left horizontal fold line.
- Open the paper back up again and do the opposite fold. Fold the top left edge down so that the vertical line meets up with the right side of the horizontal fold line.Unfold it again.
- Turn the cardstock and start pushing the center of the triangles up and in.
- Push the sides of the triangle in until the paper resembles an upside down house.
- Now fold the edges in and flatten them down, folding the paper in the other direction.
- Once the paper is folded in this way you should still see a house shape, this time with a split line down the center.
- Grab your card and open it up. Make a small mark with pencil at the half-way point across the center (2-3/4 inches).
- Add glue tape to one side of the folded triangle - only on the triangle part, not on the rectangles.
- Attach this paper to the inside of the card, with the tip of the triangle touching the pencil mark.
- Put more glue tape on the other side of the triangle and close the card to connect the triangle with the top of the card. This creates the base of the twist and pop mechanism!
Step 3: Make the "DAD" letters for the front of the card
- Choose a second colour of cardstock that contrasts well with your card. This colour will become the "DAD" letters on the front of the card, and the pop-up part on the inside. (We chose yellow.)Fold the paper in half and cut along the fold line. Discard one half. Take the other half, fold it in half lengthwise, and cut along that fold line. You will use both these pieces.
- Take one strip of paper and use a pencil to lightly write the the word "DAD" in bubble letters. The letters should stretch from top to bottom and be between 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 inches wide -- they need to fit on the front of the card.
- Cut out the letters and then use a craft knife to cut out the center of the letters. Erase any pencil marks that show.
Step 4: Make the top of the pop-up mechanism
- Take the other paper strip and fold it in half.Open the paper up, flip it over, and fold the right edge in to the center. Now fold the left edge in to the center.This creates an accordion fold that will attach to the pop-up mechanism.
- Punch out cardstock letters (the kind used in scrapbooking) to spell the word "BEST" and use glue tape to attach one letter onto each section of the accordion folded paper.Make sure you add the letters to the side of the paper with the center fold sticking up.
Step 5: Put the card pieces together
- Add glue tape to the back of the "DAD" letters and attach them to the center front of the card.
- Open the card and add a bit of glue tape to the bottom left and top right corners of the pop-up mechanism. Only add glue tape to the areas showing darkened circles in the photo below.
- Don't add glue to all 4 corners - if you do, the pop-up won't work.
- Line up the accordion folded paper with the pop-up mechanism, connecting the two corners to the glue tape.
- Use a marker or pen to write your Father's Day message inside the card. (See below for more ideas on what to write!)
- Your Father's Day pop-up card is complete!
- Use the same technique to make a Mother’s Day pop-up card!
- Write a longer word on the pop-up by adding 2 letters to each panel, or add fun images, like hearts, stars, or balloons!
What do you write in a Father’s Day pop-up card?
Make sure you write “Happy Father’s Day!” somewhere on there, and then use one of these fun options that have the pop-up word in capital letters.
- You’re simply the BEST
- Happy Father’s Day to the BEST Dad in the whole world
- Thanks for being the BEST Dad ever
- LOVE you to the moon and back
- Thanks for all the LOVE and support, Dad
- You’re my HERO
- Happy Father’s Day to my biggest HERO
- Dad, thanks for helping me GROW
You can also use the word “DAD” for the pop-up message and add a heart or a star before (or after) to fill in all four sections.
What size card does this make?
This Father’s Day pop-up card is 5-1/2 inches wide and 4-1/2 inches tall, when folded up.
What is a twist and pop card?
A twist and pop card is an interactive card with a panel in the center of the card that twists and pops out when the card is opened. The pop-up mechanism then twists and folds down to be flat when the card is closed!
What if I don’t have cardstock letters? What can I use to write “BEST”?
We used punch-out cardstock letters that we found in our craft stash, but if you don’t have these on hand you could draw and cut out your own. The letters should be between 1 – 2 inches tall.
You can also use letter stickers or simply write your word with markers!
Show love to Dad on his birthday or Father’s Day with this super easy DIY card that has an element of surprise! Secure the pop-up card with a ribbon or paper clip to maintain the secret, or simply place it in an envelope for a fun homemade gift.
Here’s even more Father’s Day craft ideas:
I Love You to Pieces Picture Frame
Our book Low-Mess Crafts for Kids is loaded with 72 fun and simple craft ideas for kids! The projects are fun, easy and most importantly low-mess, so the clean up is simple!
Where to buy:
You can purchase Low-Mess Crafts for Kids from Amazon, or wherever books are sold:
Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Books-A-Million | Indiebound | Amazon Canada
Let us know what you think: