Hello again! It’s Alicia from The Baker Upstairs, and I’m back with another delicious dessert recipe to share. This coconut lime pound cake is so light and tender, full of flavor, and easy to make, too!
One of my favorite things about baking is finding combinations of flavors that complement each other well. There are some pretty obvious ones, like peanut butter and chocolate (yum!) or blueberry and lemon, but I love finding less commonly used combinations. It’s so fun to take two totally different foods and put them together to make something extra delicious! The combination of coconut and lime is definitely one of my top favorites. I love each of the flavors individually, but they’re even more delicious in combination with each other. I’ve been making dirty Diet Cokes for years now (Diet Coke with a splash of coconut syrup and a squeeze of fresh lime juice), and now I can’t drink Diet Coke any other way. It’s so delicious!
Coconut and lime are the perfect counterpoints to each other – sweet and tangy, mellow and bright. They combine so deliciously in this pound cake, and the flavor is noticeable without being overwhelming. The cake itself is moist and tender, but holds together well and doesn’t crumble when you take a bite. It tastes so and fresh and sweet, and is the perfect dessert for spring!
Coconut Lime Pound Cake
The full recipe is at the bottom of this post, but here’s what you’ll need:
- baking powder
- shredded coconut
- sour cream
I used my stand mixer to whip up the cake batter, but you could easily use a hand mixer, or even mix it by hand. Be careful not to over mix the batter, or it won’t be as light and tender.
I sprinkled some additional coconut on top of my loaf, and I love the little bit of crunch and toasted coconut flavor that it adds! If you’d prefer to leave off the coconut, you could whip up a quick glaze from powdered sugar and lime juice and drizzle it over the top after baking instead. I’ve had it both ways, and it’s impossible to choose a favorite.
Let the loaf cool completely, then it’s time to dig in! I like to cut thick slices, and serve it with fresh fruit and whipped cream. Blueberries and blackberries are my favorites with this cake, but any fruit will work. I think it would also be delicious in a trifle with lemon or lime curd, fresh berries, and whipped cream. Yum!
The combination of coconut and lime flavors is delicious, and the loaf comes out perfectly sweetened, and so moist and tender. So yummy! It will stay fresh wrapped in plastic wrap for 2-3 days, but it never lasts that long at my house.
This coconut lime pound cake is one of my favorite easy desserts, and my kids love it too. It’s the perfect combination of flavors for spring!
- 1 cup sugar
- zest of one lime
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- ½ cup sour cream
- juice of one lime
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a loaf pan with parchment and spray with cooking spray, then set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, rub the lime zest into the sugar until fragrant. Add the butter and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and coconut, and mix until combined. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and lime juice, then add the mixture to the bowl. Mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and sprinkle with additional coconut, if desired. Bake 50-60 minutes, or until the loaf is golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool before serving.
This light and tender coconut lime pound cake has the most delicious combination of flavors! Sweet coconut and tangy lime combine to make an unforgettable dessert!