Hello again! It’s Alicia from The Baker Upstairs, and I’m back with another super tasty treat to share with you. This apple cinnamon pound cake combines some of my favorite fall flavors with a tender and sweet pound cake, to make an incredibly delicious dessert!
Even though I know that fall is on the way, this last month of hot summer weather always just seems to drag on and on for me. Between the wildfire smoke in the air, and the kids having lost all motivation to entertain themselves during the day, I’m getting super anxious for fall to start! I keep dreaming of cold, crisp days, with cozy sweaters and warm drinks. Instead it’s in the mid-90’s outside, and my kids are flopping around the living room moaning about how bored they are. They’ll start school in a few weeks, and we’ll go back to our routine, and I know eventually the weather will change and cool down. But for now it’s just way too hot!
I’ve been trying to console myself by starting my fall baking a little early this year. This apple cinnamon pound cake is fall baking perfection. It’s easy to make, delicious, and has the perfect combination of flavors. I may not be able to control the weather, but I can at least make sure we have something delicious to eat, right?
I was inspired by this beautiful cinnamon apple bread from The Happier Homemaker, but I made a few changes to the recipe to make it even easier to make, and to amp up the apple flavor. This pound cake is so good!
Apple Cinnamon Pound Cake
The full recipe is at the bottom of this post, but here’s what you’ll need:
- brown sugar
- baking powder
I know I’ve said it before, but I always love these recipes with just a handful of simple ingredients! It’s amazing how many delicious recipes you can make with just a flour, butter, and sugar, and a few pantry staples. This pound cake batter is so easy to mix up, using either a hand mixer or a stand mixer. Layering the pound cake batter with the sweetened cinnamon apples ensures that the apple flavor is distributed all through the pound cake. So yummy!
The pound cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. In my oven, it took about 60 minutes to bake, but I would recommend checking the loaf periodically starting at about 50 minutes. As hard as it is to wait (especially because it smells amazing!) it’s much easier to slice if you let the pound cake cool completely before slicing.
To make it even prettier, you can sprinkle the pound cake with a little powdered sugar after baking, but it’s totally not necessary. I love seeing those chunks of cinnamon apple in the middle of each slice!
The pound cake is so light and tender and sweet, and the combination of apples and cinnamon is always fantastic! You could easily make this pound cake into mini loaves, perfect for gifting, or serve it with whipped cream and homemade salted caramel sauce for an unforgettable fall dessert.
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a loaf pan with foil or parchment, and spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and mix until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, followed by half of the milk. Add the remaining flour, followed by the milk, and mix until combined.
- In a small bowl, toss together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and apple pieces. Spread half of the batter in the prepared pan, then spread half of the apples over the top. Spread the remaining batter over the top of the apples, then spread the remaining apples on top.
- Bake 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
This beautiful and sweet apple cinnamon pound cake is the perfect treat for fall! It’s easy to make, and has the most delicious combination of flavors!