Hello again! It’s Alicia from The Baker Upstairs, and I have another sweet dessert recipe to share with you today! This mixed berry coffee cake is completely delicious, and easy to make, too, It’s the perfect treat to whip up to share with company, without spending all day in the kitchen.
One of the unusual things about my family is that my mother and my mother-in-law share a birthday. And it’s today, January 8! Having both birthdays on the same day has always made it tricky when it comes to celebrating. When we lived in the same state as our parents, my husband and I would alternate which mother we would visit on her birthday, and then try to get together with the other one sometime close by. It was hard because we always felt like we were letting someone down. Now that we live out of state, we can just send a nice card and call each of them on their birthday, and everyone’s happy. It’s a win-win!
With birthdays on my mind, though, I thought it would be fun to share a cake recipe today. This mixed berry coffee cake is one of my family’s favorites, and so delicious! It’s perfect for any occasion, from birthdays to Mondays when you just need a little pick me up. 🙂 I absolutely adore simple, sweet, every day cakes, and this coffee cake is no exception!
Mixed Berry Coffee Cake
The full recipe is at the bottom of this post, but here’s what you’ll need:
- frozen mixed berries
- corn starch
- baking powder
- baking soda
You’ll start by making your mixed berry filling. I used the frozen triple berry blend from Costco and it worked really well, but you can use whatever frozen fruit you have on hand. I’ve made it with both raspberries and blueberries before, and it has been delicious every time. Next, you’ll mix up a simple cake batter.
Spread half of the cake batter evenly in a greased 9 x 9 baking dish.
Next, spoon the berry filling over the top of the batter, spreading evenly.
Drop the remaining batter by spoonfuls over the berry filling. It doesn’t have to be perfect, just try to get it as even as possible.
Finally, sprinkle your streusel topping over the top. It sounds like a lot of layers, but that’s what makes the coffee cake so delicious!
Bake it in the oven until it’s golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Everything blends together nicely while it bakes, and it smells delicious too!
This coffee cake is delicious served either warm or cold. I would suggest letting it cool at least 15-20 minutes before serving, so the filling can set up a little bit.
This mixed berry coffee cake is one of my family’s favorite desserts, and one that the kids beg me to make often. I’m happy to oblige, since it is so easy to make!
I can never decide which part is my favorite – the buttery streusel on top, the sweet berry filling, or the light, sweet cake. The combination is truly fantastic!
Mixed Berry Coffee Cake
for the fruit filling:
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
for the coffee cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350. Prepare a 9 x 9 baking dish by buttering or spraying with cooking spray.
- To make the filling, whisk together the water, sugar, and corn starch in a medium saucepan. Mix in the frozen berries and heat over medium heat until the mixture reaches a simmer. Let simmer 4-6 minutes, or until thickened. Set aside.
- To make the cake, in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla, then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Spread about half of the mixture in the prepared pan. Pour the filling over the batter, then drop remaining batter by spoonfuls over the filling.
- To make the crumb topping, mix together the flour and sugar, then cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the topping over the batter. Bake 40-45 minutes or until light golden brown and cooked through.
This deliciously sweet mixed berry coffee cake is so simple and quick to make, and perfect for entertaining. It’s sure to be a favorite!