Hey guys! It’s Megan from Homemade Ginger and I’m excited to share a Halloween craft with you all today! We know how popular water bottle crafts are and so I wanted to come up with one that is perfect for Halloween. I am in love with these cute little black cat planters. They were a breeze to put together and my kids went crazy over them!
My kids started planning out their Halloween costumes in July. I’m not sure if this is something that happens with all kids, but mine definitely start thinking about it months before they need to. They do this every year! Their ideas for costumes seem to change weekly. So, even though they start thinking about it way ahead of time, it doesn’t really save any time since they constantly change their minds. I can’t blame them because there are just so many choices for costumes. Do we come up with something out of stuff we already have at home? Do we DIY a costume this year? Or do we go buy something? There are so many options.
I think my favorite costume is the classic black cat. It is so quick to pull together out of clothes we already have at home and it’s easy to whip up a kitty ear headband. Apply some whiskers with black eyeliner, and we’ve got a cute, cheap and simple costume! I always hope that one of my girls will choose a black cat. I don’t love decorating in scary Halloween decor, but I think black cats can look cute and classy at the same time. That is why I love this craft so much. These water bottle cat planters turned out so great and they would look so cute sitting out for Halloween!
These plastic bottle planters could be made into any creature that you wish. I love the black cat for Halloween, but you could easily turn them into jack ‘o lanterns, ghosts or another type of animal. What a fun way to give a little gift to a teacher or friend for Halloween!
Water Bottle Cat Planters
Here is what you will need to make this craft:
- Water Bottles
- Googly Eyes
- White Pipe Cleaners
- Pink Felt
- Black Paint
- Paint Brush
- Hot Glue Gun
- Black Foam Sheets
These planters look so cute with a small plant or succulent!
You could also fill your planters with something else, like candy, office supplies, craft supplies or faux flowers!
Water Bottle Cat Planter
- Cut an empty water bottle through the middle. Decide how tall or short it should be. Use a pair of sharp scissors to get a smooth cut.
- Cover the bottom half of the water bottle with some black craft paint using a paint brush. Do a second coat if needed.
- Next, attach a pair of googly eyes with a glue gun.
- Cut the pipe cleaner into four 1 inch pieces and glue 2 on each side of the "face" for whiskers.
- Cut a small triangle out of pink felt and glue it on for the nose.
- Cut 2 small triangles out of the black foam sheet. Glue them onto the top of the planter to create the ears.
- Fill the water bottle with some soil and add a real or faux succulent!
- Your water bottle cat planter is complete!
Who knew you could transform an old plastic bottle into something so fun for Halloween? Next time you have some water bottles lying around, try making one of these instead of throwing them out!