Hello again! It’s Alicia from The Baker Upstairs, and I’m excited to share another sweet treat with you today. These strawberry cream scones are perfect for breakfast or dessert. They’re sweet and simple, and totally delicious!
Over the past few years I have become totally obsessed with British TV shows, and especially with British cooking shows. My favorite (of course) is The Great British Baking Show, and I’m always thrilled when another season has popped up on Netflix. I love to see all the different beautiful things that they bake, and I’m always inspired to try new things after watching the show. It also helps that they are all so kind and supportive with each other, and the set is absolutely beautiful. It makes me want to plan a trip to the UK post haste! My kids also love watching the show with me, and they have a running list of things they want to learn to bake, from sourdough bread to homemade croissants.
We decided to start our baking experiments a little more simply with easy to make things like scones, and work our way up to the more complicated bakes. We’ve made this basic scone recipe several times now and have always had good results. This time, though, we decided to change them up a little with some new flavors. The combination of strawberries and cream is so delicious, and together they add a really nice flavor to the scones!
These scones are very simple to make, but what makes them extra special is the addition of freeze dried strawberries. If you haven’t baked with them before, they have a sweet, concentrated strawberry flavor. They add a ton of flavor to the scones without making them soggy like fresh fruit sometimes does. As the scones bake, the strawberries will absorb some of the moisture and plump up a little, so that by the time you bite into them, they are soft. I’ve found freeze dried strawberries at the grocery store near raisins and other dried fruit, and I’ve also found them at big box stores like Target. They are one of my favorite ingredients to bake with!
Strawberry Cream Scones
The full recipe is at the bottom of this post, but here’s what you’ll need:
- baking powder
- heavy cream
- freeze-dried strawberries
The dough for the scones comes together quickly, and you don’t even need a mixer! It’s important not to overwork the dough, or the scones will be tough. You’ll want to mix until the dough just starts to come together, then form it into an even layer about one inch thick.
Cut twelve scones from the dough using a biscuit cutter or drinking glass, then place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment or sprayed with cooking spray.
Next, you’ll brush the scones with egg wash and sprinkle them with sugar. This helps create a nice browned top with a little bit of crunch from the sugar. Bake the scones 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
My favorite way to eat these scones is when they’re still hot from the oven, topped with a little butter and jam. They’re also pretty fantastic just on their own, though!
These scones are best when eaten within the first day or two after they’re baked, but they’re so tasty that they tend to go quickly at my house. I love the tiny chunks of strawberries mixed into the sweet scones. The sweet and crisp top in contrast with the light and fluffy inside of the scone is a delicious combination!
These sweet and simple strawberry cream scones are perfect for breakfast or dessert! They’re an elegant and easy to make treat that everyone will love!
Strawberry Cream Scones
for the scones:
- 4 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 ounce freeze-dried strawberries chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
for the topping:
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 475. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder with a fork. Grate the cold butter into the mixing bowl. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or two knives, until the pieces of butter are no bigger than pea sized. Stir in the freeze dried strawberries.
- In a measuring cup, mix together the eggs, cream, and milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined. Turn out onto a floured counter or cutting board and knead lightly until the dough comes together.
- Pat the dough out on a lightly floured surface into a large rectangle about 1 inch thick (using a rolling pin if needed) and cut into twelve circles using a 2 inch biscuit cutter or a drinking glass.
- To make the topping, beat the remaining egg in a small bowl with the water. Brush the egg mixture over each scone. Sprinkle with the sugar and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown on top.