Hello again! It’s Alicia from The Baker Upstairs, and I’m so excited to share these delicious raspberry cream cheese sweet rolls with you today. If there’s one thing I love, it’s an easy dessert that’s still totally delicious, and these sweet rolls are just that!
When I was a child, my neighbors a few doors down had a commercial bakery in their garage. Not only did they make the whole street smell delicious, they were also very generous about sharing treats with the rest of us. I remember one day in particular when they invited a big group of kids from the neighborhood over to bake sweet rolls. They let all the kids help with the whole process, from mixing and rolling the dough, to spreading the filling and drizzling the glaze.
They had a variety of fillings to choose from, from brown sugar and pecans to a variety of fruit flavors. I chose to make raspberry and peach sweet rolls, and I can still remember, all these years later, how delicious they were! My mom made cinnamon rolls pretty regularly, but I had never tried sweet rolls with a fruit filling. They were totally amazing!
I was remembering those sweet rolls this week, and decided it was high time to make my own version at home. I used my favorite quick one hour roll recipe to keep things easy and fast, then added a sweet raspberry and cream cheese filling. They turned out even better than I had planned! The rolls were light and fluffy, and perfectly browned on top, and the filling was sweet and creamy and so delicious. These raspberry cream cheese sweet rolls were a hit with my whole family, and the recipe made enough to share with friends too!
Raspberry Cream Cheese Sweet Rolls
The full recipe is at the bottom of this post, but here’s what you’ll need:
- cream cheese
- raspberry jam
- powdered sugar
The dough is pretty straightforward to make. Just be sure not to add too much flour, or the rolls will be heavy and dense.
The rolls have a short rise time, and then it’s time to roll them out. I divided my dough in half and did two pie tins with eight rolls in each, but you could also place all of the rolls on a large sheet pan instead. You’ll spread the dough with sweetened cream cheese, then top with raspberry jam.
Next, you’ll roll the dough up, starting at the wide end. It will be messy, but just do your best!
Cut each half of the dough into eight equal sized rolls and place in a lightly greased pie tin or cake pan. As you can see, they’re a little oozy and gooey, but that’s totally okay!
Let them rise again for about fifteen minutes, then they’re ready to bake. Once they’re golden brown, you’ll remove them from the oven and drizzle them with a quick vanilla glaze. Don’t they look gorgeous?
These raspberry cream cheese sweet rolls are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dessert!
I made one pan for my family and another to share with friends, and ours were gone within about ten minutes. So yummy!
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 cups flour, more or less as needed
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup raspberry jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk, more or less as needed
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water and let stand for five minutes, or until foamy. Add the butter, salt, and 3 cups of flour, and mix until combined.
- Add additional flour, ¼ cup at a time, until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and is only slightly sticky to the touch (be careful not to add too much flour!). Knead 3-5 minutes, until smooth. Cover and let rise 20 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, beat together the cream cheese and sugar and set aside.
- After 20 minutes, preheat the oven to 400. Gently punch down the dough and divide in half. Roll half of the dough out into a long rectangle that is approximately 15 inches wide and 9 inches tall.
- Spread half of the cream cheese mixture over the dough, then top with half of the raspberry jam. Roll the dough up starting from the long edge, and cut into eight equal sized pieces. Place in a lightly greased pie dish or cake pan. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise 15 minutes.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, or until the sweet rolls are golden brown on top. Remove from oven and let cool five minutes.
- To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk, adding more milk as needed to achieve a smooth glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the finished rolls. Serve warm.
These raspberry cream cheese sweet rolls are ready in about 90 minutes, and so delicious! They’re perfect for a tasty and sweet breakfast or dessert!