Celebrate the 4th of July with this red, white, and blue layered drink! These nonalcoholic drinks are kid friendly and perfect for a summer party or backyard BBQ.
Impress your guests with these patriotic drinks that are both magical looking and refreshing! And best of all, they’re incredibly easy to make!
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission which helps us run this website.
Check out our Red White and Blue Layered Drink video tutorial:
Looking for more fun 4th of July ideas? Here’s a few of our favourites:
How to Make a Layered Drink
- Gather your ingredients.
- Fill your glass to the top with ice. We used a 2 cup mason jar.
- Pour the Strawberry Daiquiri mix into your glass, filling about 1/3 of the glass.
- Slowly pour in the blue Gatorade and fill another 1/3 of the glass.Make sure you're pouring in the center of the glass directly onto the ice.
- For the final layer, carefully pour in the Sparkling Ice Lemonade until the glass is full.Again, pour in the center of the glass directly on top of the ice.
- Add a striped straw and/or a flag to the glass and your red white and blue layered drink is complete!
How do you layer colors in a drink?
Even though these drinks seem magical, the reason why they’re layered is actually science based! How these drinks work is based on sugar content.
The drinks with the most sugar go in the bottom of the glass. Sugar adds density to a liquid, making it heavier. Drinks with less sugar content are lighter, and therefore they will float on top. Add drinks to the glass in order from most to least sugar.
When you’re figuring out which drinks have the most sugar, be sure to check the serving size. Some drinks might show more sugar on the label, but will actually have less sugar than another drink if they have a larger serving size.
What other drinks can you use for a red white and blue layered drink?
You can use any juice and drink types to make layered drinks, as long as the sugar content for each one is different.
We made 3 different layered drink recipes, which you can see in our pictures. But there are so many different drinks you can combine to make a delicious and pretty red, white, and blue drink. Here are some ideas:
- Fruit punch
- Strawberry Daiquiri or Strawberry Margarita mix
- Cranberry juice
- Cherry 7Up
- Cranberry ginger ale
- Gatorade (Fruit Punch)
- Pomegranate juice
- Strawberry lemonade
- Kool Aid (Cherry or Strawberry)
- Pina Colada mix
- Club Soda or sparkling water
- Pineapple juice
- Sobe Pina Colada
- Gatorade (Glacier Cherry)
- Gatorade (Cool Blue)
- Blue curacao syrup
- Kool Aid (Blue Raspberry or Mixed Berry)
- Powerade (Blue Raspberry Cherry or Mountain Berry Blast)
- Blue Hawaiian Punch
How can I garnish my red white and blue layered drink?
We love the look of red and white striped straws in these drinks, but you could add a blue and white straw too. We printed out some small American flags and attached them to skewers, but you can also buy mini American flag toppers.
You can even add whipped cream to the top of these drinks if you’re feeling fancy. Or add a fun fruit topper, like a maraschino cherry, a strawberry, some raspberries, or a few blueberries.
These red white and blue layered drinks are SO PRETTY! They’re fruity, sweet, and icy cold, making them the perfect drink to help beat the summer heat.
These layered drinks are perfect for Memorial Day and Independence Day, but they’re tasty enough that you’ll be wanting to make them all summer long!
Here’s even more fun 4th of July ideas:
Our book Low-Mess Crafts for Kids is loaded with 72 fun and simple craft ideas for kids! The projects are fun, easy and most importantly low-mess, so the clean up is simple!