These DIY confetti poppers are SO EASY to make! Celebrate the 4th of July with one of these super cool red, white, and blue party poppers.
Make your own confetti popper using a toilet paper roll and a balloon. Then watch the colorful confetti launch into the air with a satisfying pop! It’s such a fun craft for both kids and adults!
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission which helps us run this website.
How to Make Confetti Poppers
Check Out The Video Tutorial:
Step 1: Find what you need
- Gather your supplies and materials.
Step 2: Attach the balloon to the paper roll
- Tie a knot in the end of a deflated balloon.
- Cut off about 1/2 an inch from the very top part of the balloon.
- Stretch the balloon over one end of a toilet paper roll.
- Secure the balloon in place with tape.
Step 3: Cut out the pieces of paper
- Cut a white piece of paper to be 6 inches long by 4-1/2 inches tall, or whatever size will cover your entire paper roll.
- Cut 4 red strips of paper to be 6 inches long and 1/4 inch wide.
- Grab blue paper or cardstock and cut a section to be 6 inches long and 1-1/2 inches wide.
- Use a star punch to punch out 4 white stars.
Step 4: Decorate your confetti popper
- Add glue tape to one short end of the white paper.You can also use regular tape, but we found it easier to get the paper on straight with glue tape.
- Roll the white paper around the paper roll and tape it into place.
- Use glue tape or tape to attach a red paper strip about 1/4 inch from the bottom of the paper roll.
- Wrap the red paper around the roll and secure it with tape.Add the 3 other red strips, placing them evenly apart.
- Add glue tape to the short end of the blue paper.
- Attach it to the top of the paper roll, connecting the other end with tape.
- Add glue tape or glue stick to the back of the white stars and attach them on top of the blue paper. We spaced them evenly apart, one on each "side" of the paper roll.
Step 5: Have fun using your party popper
- Add 2 to 3 Tablespoons of confetti into the top of the paper roll.
- Hold the knot of the balloon and pull down.
- Let go of the balloon and watch the confetti fly through the air.
- Your DIY confetti popper is complete!
- If you use cardstock or scrapbook paper to make the stars, tacky glue works the best to keep the edges stuck down.
- Want to transport these to a party or event with the confetti already in them? Place saran wrap or tissue paper over the top and secure it in place with an elastic.
- If you have a paper cutter, use that to cut the strips of paper. It definitely makes the cutting a lot easier!
What can I use as confetti for my DIY confetti poppers?
You can make your own confetti with a hole punch or by cutting up gift bag filler. Or use cut up rice paper, seed paper, or paper that’s been put through a paper shredder.
How do you make a confetti popper without balloons?
We like the simplicity of sliding a balloon over the paper roll, but you can also use an elastic to make a DIY confetti popper. To do this, cut two slits on opposite sides of the paper roll, going down a bit less than half way.
Cover the opposite end of the paper roll with tissue paper. Slide an elastic through the slits and then pull it down over the tissue paper. Slide a thin strip of paper around the elastic and glue it together to make a pull tab. Then simply add the confetti to the paper roll, pull the tab, and watch the confetti soar through the air!
How else can I personalize these DIY confetti poppers?
You can see from our photos that we made four different designs for the 4th of July. But you can easily personalize the decorations to match your occasion. Here’s a few simple decorating ideas:
- Use a hole punch to make little dots and add confetti to the outside of the popper.
- Add star or American flag stickers.
- Use different widths of paper for stripes. You can also use pinking shears to create zig zag stripes!
- Glitter scrapbook paper looks great as a base or for punching out stars.
- Use different sizes of star punches! Or use flower or heart punches.
- Draw fireworks on white or black paper with a gel pen or glitter pen. (Or make fork painted fireworks!)
- Finally, simply wrap patriotic scrapbook paper around the paper roll!
These DIY confetti poppers are perfect for Independence Day, but they’re also so much fun for any special occasion. Make a homemade confetti popper for a birthday, wedding, New Year’s Eve, or graduation. They’re so cool!
Here’s even more fun 4th of July ideas:
Our book Low-Mess Crafts for Kids is loaded with 72 fun and simple craft ideas for kids! The projects are fun, easy and most importantly low-mess, so the clean up is simple!