Hello again! It’s Alicia from The Baker Upstairs, and I have the tastiest fall treat to share with you today! These pumpkin donut muffins are so tiny and sweet, with the most delicious pumpkin spice flavor. They’re completely irresistible, and you’ll want to enjoy them all through the fall!
One of my family’s favorite traditions every fall is to make homemade donuts. We don’t usually do a lot of deep frying, so it’s an extra special treat for our family! We’ve made a variety of different donuts, from homemade Krispy Kreme-style donuts to apple cider donuts to pumpkin spice donuts. Each flavor of donut is delicious in its own way, but the pumpkin spice donuts just feel like the essence of fall. There really is no better flavor for fall than pumpkin spice!
Since I love those pumpkin spice donuts like crazy, but don’t always want all of the mess and effort that goes along with making them, I started making these pumpkin donut muffins a few years ago. They have all of the pumpkin spice flavor that I love, but they’re quick and easy to make. They’re also a little healthier than the fried donuts (although I wouldn’t really call anything that’s rolled in butter and sugar strictly healthy). They’re perfect as a breakfast, dessert, or snack!
I adapted these delicious muffins from this recipe from Live Well Bake Often, but changed it just a little based on what I already had in the house. (Not having to make an extra trip to the grocery store is always a win!) I also bumped up the pumpkin spice flavor just a little more, to make the muffins extra delicious!
Pumpkin Donut Muffins
The full recipe is at the bottom of this post, but here’s what you’ll need
- baking powder
- pumpkin pie spice
- pumpkin puree
- canola oil or vegetable oil
The batter for these muffins is quick to make, and you can easily mix it by hand. As much as I love my KitchenAid mixer, sometimes I really enjoy mixing things by hand instead. You’ll want to mix the batter until it just comes together, being careful not to over mix it.
Next, scoop the batter into a greased mini muffin tin, filling 3/4 full. I used a 1 tablespoon scoop, and it was the perfect size! You’ll want to avoid using paper liners in your muffin tin, because the muffins will be rolled in butter and cinnamon sugar later.
Bake the muffins until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the tops spring back when touched lightly. After baking, let the muffins cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes until they’re warm but not too hot.
Dip the muffins in the melted butter, coating all sides, then roll them in a mixture of sugar and pumpkin pie spice. The muffins are totally delicious on their own, but the spiced sugar coating makes them extra delicious!
These pumpkin donut muffins are best eaten right away, when they’re still slightly warm. They are so sweet, with the perfect little touch of pumpkin spice. You won’t be able to stop at just one muffin!
I made these recently for a snack when my kids had some friends over to play, and I had a line of kids begging for more muffins. They are just that good! These pumpkin donut muffins are the perfect treat for fall!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, sugar, egg, milk, and oil until well blended. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling the wells ¾ full. Bake 11-13 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Dip the muffins in the melted butter, coating all surfaces, then roll the muffins in the sugar mixture.
These bite-sized pumpkin donut muffins are the perfect treat for fall! They’re so light and tender, and rolled in spiced sugar for extra deliciousness!