Hello! It’s Megan from Homemade Ginger again with a kids craft that everyone is sure to love. These little fireflies would be the perfect craft for a campout or a summer birthday party!
In the past, most of my kids’ craft ideas (such as this fake flower craft) have been geared towards girls because I had three daughters so girls were all I knew. All of my girls are super girly, so our house was full of princesses and pink. Well, this summer we were blessed with a baby boy! It’s been so much fun but definitely an adjustment when we’ve had all girls in the house for the past 8 years. So, I’ve started to think about crafts and activities that would be perfect for both boys and girls when my little guy is old enough to join in the fun. These fireflies are the perfect example of a kids activity that both boys and girls alike will absolutely love.
Even though I have girly daughters, one thing they do love is camping. My husband will set up our giant tent in the backyard and they will enjoy summer nights “camping” outside. I think these fireflies will be the perfect campout activity for them to make and play with after it gets dark. I know once my son is old enough to join in on the campouts, he will love this craft as well!
I was inspired by this pop bottle craft but I decided to try to make some mini versions of the fireflies out of water bottles. You could definitely use the same methods to make a larger pop bottle version if you wish. If you are making these for an outdoor birthday party, it will probably be easier to get your hands on a bunch of water bottles.
Pop Bottle Firefly
The full printable instructions are at the bottom of this post, but here’s what you will need:
- Water Bottles or Pop Bottles
- Tissue Paper
- Glow Sticks
- Pipe Cleaners
- Googly Eyes
- Foam Sheets
- Mod Podge
- Foam Brush
- Glue Gun
Aren’t these the cutest little fire flies!
Make them in all different colors!
Since the tissue paper is slightly transparent, it glows when the glow stick is lit up in the dark.
Your kids will adore playing with their fireflies!
Pop Bottle Firefly
- 1 water bottle or pop bottle (clear)
- 1 glow stick (any colour)
- 1 foam sheet (any colour)
- 4 Pipe cleaners (any colour)
- 1 pair Googly eyes
- 1 sheet tissue paper
- 1 bottle Mod Podge
- 1 foam brush
- Cut a sheet of tissue paper into 1 inch strips.
- Brush a layer of Mod Podge onto the center of your bottle.
- Stick the tissue paper strips onto the Mod Podge, wrapping it around the bottle. Brush another layer of Mod Podge on top of the tissue strips.
- Once dry, wrap three pipe cleaners around the centre of the the bottle, on top of the tissue strips. Twist each one around the bottom to form the legs.
- Cut 2 wing shapes out of a foam sheet. Using a glue gun, attach them to the top of the bottle.
- Place your glow stick inside the bottle.
- Glue on a pair of googly eyes onto the bottle cap then twist another pipe cleaner around the neck of the bottle to form the antenna.
- Your pop bottle fire fly is complete!
This project will make you love turning your trash into treasure! Make them this spring for some outdoor evening fun or turn off the lights inside on a rainy day!
Let us know what you think: