Hello! It’s Megan from Homemade Ginger and I’m sharing a Monarch butterfly craft today. These paper roll butterflies are so fun to make and they turn out a little different every time. Whether you see Monarchs in your area around this time of year or not, you will love doing this craft!
As stores start to fill up with school supplies, I tend to get nostalgic. I love looking through all of the art supplies and pencil boxes. I used to be an elementary art teacher, so the beginning of school always brings back memories of getting my classroom ready and organizing fresh markers and colored pencils. I loved incorporating history and science into my art lessons for my elementary students. We would frequently talk about mirror images, geometric shapes, texture and color. I also loved creating lessons plans that would not only teach kids some new art skills, but expand their knowledge on animals or habitats. In the fall, I loved having my students do art projects on Monarch butterflies.
Monarch are so beautiful and there are so many amazing shapes and vibrant orange colors on their wings. Each butterfly is a little different. It’s a great opportunity to teach kids about mirror images while they are creating their butterfly wings. These paper roll Monarch are just so cute and they each have a little personality of their own!
I loved these paper roll butterflies by The Resourceful Mama. I wanted to make a Monarch version perfect for late summer and early fall!
Paper Roll Monarch Butterflies
Here is what you will need:
- Black and Orange Construction Paper
- Googly eyes
- Black Pipe Cleaners
- Glue Stick
- White Glue or Hot Glue Gun
- White Paint
- Paint Brush
- Butterfly Template (Optional)
These paper butterflies are just so lovely!
Kids will love making their own Monarchs as well as hopefully learning something new in the process!
Paper Roll Monarch Butterflies
- Paint brush
- 2 sheets Construction paper (black)
- 1 sheet Construction paper (orange)
- 1 pair Googly eyes
- 1 Pipe cleaner (black)
- craft paint (white)
- Make a paper roll out of black construction paper. Cut an 8 X 11 sheet in half. Take one of the halves and roll it up. Glue the seam shut using a glue stick.
- Next, take a second piece of black construction paper and fold it in half. Draw wing shapes along the fold and cut them out.
- Fold a piece of orange construction paper in half. Cut out various sizes of ovals. Make sure to cut 2 identical pieces of each shape, so the wings have identical patterns.
- Glue the orange oval shapes onto the black wings. Create a mirror image on each wing.
- Dip the end of a paint brush into some white craft paint. Add white dots of different sizes around the outside edges of the wings.
- Glue the black paper roll onto the center of the wings using craft glue. Attach a pair of googly eyes to the top front of the roll. Extend the roll past the wings on the bottom so that the butterfly can stand on it's own.
- Cut two 3 inch pieces of black pipe cleaner. Glue them to the top front of the paper roll on the inside. Bend each one to resemble antennas.
- Your paper roll monarch butterfly is complete!
These paper roll Monarch butterflies are easy to make and turn out beautifully every time.
Let us know what you think: