Hello again! It’s Alicia from The Baker Upstairs, and I have another sweet and tasty dessert recipe to share with you today. These birthday cake scones taste fantastic, and they’re so quick to make, too! They’re the perfect way to enjoy that delicious birthday cake flavor with almost no effort on your part, which is the way I like it!
My husband and I are working hard right now to save up money for a down payment on a house. One of the ways we’ve challenged ourselves is to go a whole month without buying any fast food. We’re generally not all that crazy about fast food, but sometimes it’s just easier to grab a quick cheeseburger on the way home from running errands, instead of going to all the trouble to cook dinner. I’m also not always the best at planning ahead, so when dinner time rolls around, sometimes I don’t have anything easy on hand to make.
At this point, we’re a few weeks in, and it hasn’t been as hard as I thought. Sure, we end up eating tacos, tuna sandwiches, or mac and cheese fairly frequently, but it’s been pretty easy to adapt to making dinner at home every night. The one thing I’ve really been struggling with, though, is living without my all too frequent trips to Starbucks. On a hard day, it’s one of my favorite things to go through the drive through and come out with a hot cocoa or chai, and a fluffy warm scone. Their blueberry scones are totally my kryptonite!
Since I can’t go pick up a scone, I decided it was time to make my own scones at home! I didn’t have any blueberries on hand, so I had to think up a new fun flavor to try. I had a box of cake mix (which I almost never use) in the cupboard, so I thought it would be fun to try a birthday cake flavored scone. Boy, was I right! These scones are light and fluffy, have the perfect birthday cake flavor, and are loaded with fun sprinkles. They’re adorable and delicious too!
Birthday Cake Scones
The full recipe is at the bottom of this post, but here’s what you’ll need:
- yellow cake mix
- baking powder
- baking soda
- sour cream
- colorful sprinkles
The main thing with scone dough is to make sure you don’t overwork it. You want the scones to stay light and tender, so only mix until the dough just starts to come together, then pat it out into a circle. Cut the dough into eight equal sized wedges.
Bake the scones until they’re light golden brown. They’ll get crisp and and a little crumbly on the outside, but stay light and tender on the inside.
You could stop there, of course, but why not go all out and add a sweet glaze (and a few extra sprinkles!) on top? The glaze makes them even prettier and more festive!
These birthday cake scones taste just like cake batter, and the sprinkles make them so fun. They’re the perfect homemade substitute for my beloved Starbucks scones!
These scones are perfect for an afternoon snack or a pretty and fun dessert. You could also cut smaller scones and use them for a tea party or brunch. They would be so cute bite-sized!
My husband and kids loved these scones just as much as I did, so they will definitely be making another appearance in our house soon. Yum!
Birthday Cake Scones
for the scones:
for the glaze:
- 1 cup Powdered sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons half and half or milk more or less as needed
- 1 drop pink food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone liner, or spray a scone pan with cooking spray, then set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cake mix, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Grate in the cold butter and toss to combine. Whisk in the sprinkles.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, egg, and vanilla, then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a circle, about eight inches in diameter. Cut the dough into eight wedges (I like to use a pizza cutter), and place the pieces on the baking sheet or in the wells of the scone pan. Bake 13-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove and let cool.
- While the scones are cooling, whisk together the half and half and powdered sugar, adding more or less to make a glaze that is easy to drizzle. Whisk in the food coloring. Drizzle over the scones while still slightly warm and sprinkle with additional sprinkles, if desired.
These birthday cake scones taste so amazing and are quick and easy to make! They’re the perfect fun and festive treat to brighten up any day!