Hello! It’s Megan from Homemade Ginger again and I’m so excited about today’s post! I couldn’t believe how easy this play dough was to make and my kids absolutely loved playing with it. You will definitely want to stick around for this post to find out how to make this easy ice cream play dough!
A new building has popped up just around the corner from our house. We guessed and predicted what we thought it would be as it took shape. Last week, we finally asked one of the construction workers to share the secret of what they were building. We were ecstatic to find out that it is going to be an ice cream shop! It is in walking distance from our house and I’m just imagining walking or riding bikes to get ice cream after dinner on warm summer nights. It will be so fun but also very dangerous to our waistlines!
To get into the summer ice cream spirit, we made this super fun and easy ice cream play dough. It is the easiest play dough recipe that I’ve ever attempted and I love that I only had to get one bowl dirty . This play dough looks just like ice cream and can be scooped out with an ice cream scoop. Put it on some cones and kids can pretend to have their own ice cream shop! You can experiment with different colors to make various ice cream “flavors”, but I wanted to try a sprinkle version because who doesn’t look some colorful sprinkles on their ice cream sundae? Once you make this play dough ice cream, you won’t want to bother with any other play dough recipe.
I was inspired by this ice cream play dough recipe but I wanted to try a version using sprinkles! You will be shocked to find out how easy it is to whip up!
Ice Cream Play Dough
The full instructions are at the bottom of this post, but here is what you will need:
- Vanilla Frosting
- Powdered Sugar
- Multi-colored Sprinkles
Use an ice cream scoop to make perfect little ice cream balls. It looks just like the real thing!
And this play dough is edible, so if your little one accidentally gets too excited and tastes some, there is no need to worry!
I can’t wait to experiment with different “flavors” next. Mint chip, chocolate or strawberry would also be so fun!
Ice Cream Play Dough
- 1 cup canned vanilla frosting
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup sprinkles (multi-colored)
- Combine the vanilla frosting and 2 cups of the powdered sugar in a large bowl.
- Mix them together using a hand held or stand mixer. When combined, gradually add the rest of the sugar to the mixture, 1/4 cup at a time. Feel the dough periodically to see if it is still sticky. Keep adding sugar until it no longer feels sticky to the touch.
- Take the dough out and mix in the sprinkles by hand, kneading the play dough until the sprinkles are fully incorporated. Sprinkle a little at a time until all the sprinkles are used.
- Your batch of ice cream play dough is complete!
This edible ice cream play dough recipe is so fun and looks just like the real thing! Such a cool and creative kids summer activity idea!