This crochet hat is SO PRETTY and it’s such a fun winter craft! Follow our step by step photo and video tutorials below and download our FREE printable pattern to make this cozy accessory.
This crochet beanie is really easy to make, using beginner friendly stitches. This unisex hat pattern will keep you warm all winter long, and it also makes a great homemade gift!
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission which helps us run this website.
How to Crochet a Hat
Check Out The Video Tutorial:
Step 1: Find what you need
- Gather your supplies and materials.
Step 2: Crochet the hat
- Make a slip knot and add it onto your hook. Tighten it.
- To begin the hat, chain 37.
- Insert 1 double crochet into each chain across (skipping the first 2) for a total of 35 double crochets.
- Turn your work and chain 2.
- Insert 1 double crochet into the back loop only of each stitch across.
- Here's what 1 double crochet into each back loop will look like.
- Repeat this pattern 25 times, for a total of 27 rows.
Step 3: Assemble the hat
- Cut off the yarn, leaving a tail of at least 6 inches.
- Tie off your yarn.
- Fold the rectangle in half, crosswise.
- Thread a yarn needle with about 18 inches of yarn. Then sew the last row to the foundation chain, creating a tube.
- Sew a running stitch around the top of the hat.
- Once you've sewn all the way around, pull the yarn to gather the top of the hat together.
- Tie off the end of the yarn to one of the loose ends.
- Turn the hat inside out.
Step 4: Attach a pom pom
- Fasten your pom pom to the hat using the tails of the yarn.To do this, pull out the yarn from inside the hat and bring the tail through the elastic loop of the pom pom.
- Loop the tails through the the pom pom's loop several times and then tie a double knot to secure it.
- Tie off the ends through the gap in the top of the hat. Knot several times to secure it. This should close the gap in the hat as well.
- Fold up the brim of the hat a couple inches, or whatever you think looks best.
- Your crochet hat is complete!
- Adjust the size of the hat by adding or removing chains at the beginning of the project and then adjusting the amount of rows you make. Check out our free PDF pattern below to make the hat in multiple sizes.
- This pattern is made for bulky yarn, but you can use a different size of yarn to give the hat a whole different look. Thinner yarn will require a different size of hook, and more chains and rows for the same size of hat.
- After crocheting the 27 rows you can also sew a slip stitch to attach the sides, instead of tying off your yarn and doing the running stitch. Both methods work, but the slip stitch will result in fewer ends to tie in.
Download our free crochet hat pattern:
Click on the link below to download our free, printable crochet hat pattern! This pattern is based on a medium sized hat, but it also has instructions for small and large hats.
The 4 page PDF file will open in a new window. Then simply follow along with the pattern on your device’s screen, or print it on 8.5 x 11 (letter size) printer paper.
What type of yarn is used to make a crochet hat?
We used size 5 bulky yarn to make our crochet beanies. Thicker yarn works up a lot quicker than thin yarn, and we love the chunky look of this hat. Plus thicker yarn makes a hat that’s warmer for winter!
How much yarn will I need to make a crochet hat?
The amount of yarn needed depends, of course, on the type of yarn and the size of the hat. To make the medium sized hat (that we made in the tutorial above), you’ll need approximately 200 yards (185 meters) of yarn.
Our yarn comes in a 3.5 ounce (100 gram) skein and contains 117 yards (107 meters) of yarn, so you’ll need almost 2 balls to make this beanie.
What type of pom pom is added to a crochet hat?
We added a grey faux fur pom pom to our crochet hats. These pom poms also come in black, white, and a number of other colours. They have a little elastic loop on them, making the pom poms super easy to attach.
If you don’t want to add a fur pom pom to your hat, you can also make a pom pom from yarn using only your hands, no special tools required!
Choose your favourite colour of yarn and a matching pom pom and create this easy crochet hat! Use our free crochet hat pattern, or adjust the number of stitches to fit any head. It’s so easy to transform a flat rectangle into this adorable ribbed toque!
Here’s even more yarn craft ideas:
Our book Low-Mess Crafts for Kids is loaded with 72 fun and simple craft ideas for kids! The projects are fun, easy and most importantly low-mess, so the clean up is simple!