Make an easy felt and candy cane Christmas tree favor using our printable template! They’re perfect to give to friends or teachers and you can make each one in about 5 minutes!
Felt and Candy Cane Christmas Tree Favors
These Christmas tree favors are so fun and they’re SO SIMPLE to make. All you need is some green felt, a candy cane and some craft bobbles such as buttons, pom poms or rhinestones to decorate your trees.
Make these as a simple gift to give to the kids in your children’s classrooms, or as a gift for their teacher. Or set them out for all your guests for Christmas dinner. They’d even make cute ornaments if you hang the candy cane on the Christmas tree.
Use our printable template below for the exact shape you see in the photos, come up with your own shape, or visit our Christmas tree template page to find another tree shape.
Check out our Candy Cane Felt Tree video tutorial:
*Note: Scroll down for the step-by-step photo tutorial.
Looking for more fun DIY Christmas favor ideas? Here’s some of our favourites:
Here’s what you’ll need:
The full printable instructions are at the end of this post, but here’s a list of affiliate links to products on Amazon that are similar to the supplies we used:
Grab the free printable template here:
Click the link below to open the pdf template. Then print it onto regular printer paper.
Do I have to use the template?
Nope, you can make your own tree template! I recommend folding a piece of paper in half first, drawing the outline on the paper and testing it with the candy cane before you cut the felt.
Remember, candy canes have the wide “J” shape at the top of the tree, so your tree shape will need to be wide near the top if you want to cover the candy cane.
You can also check out our Christmas tree template page for more printable Christmas tree shapes.
Where is the best place to get the craft supplies?
I found all the supplies for this craft at the dollar store – so definitely check there first! You can also find everything at any craft store, and/or Amazon as well.
What can I decorate the tree with besides pom poms?
We used pom poms, sticker rhinestones and sticker buttons to decorate our trees.
You can also use pipe cleaners, stickers, markers, glitter glue, felt shapes, ribbon, washi tape or beads to decorate your trees.
What can I use besides a candy cane?
Don’t like candy canes? No problem! Try using a pencil, marker, straw, toothbrush, pipe cleaners, popsicle stick or a plastic spoon for your tree trunk.
Simply use tape to attach it to the back of the felt.
Felt and Candy Cane Christmas Tree Favor
- 1 piece green felt (6" square)
- 1 candy cane
- 1 foam star sticker
- 8-10 pom poms, rhinestones or buttons (any color)
- 1 printed tree template (link in the tips section below)
- Tacky glue
- Gel pen
Step 1: Cut the tree shape
- Fold your piece of felt in half. Place the folded tree template on the fold in the felt. Trace the outline onto the felt using a gel pen.
- Keeping the felt folded, cut out the tree shape.
- Unfold the felt to reveal your Christmas tree shape.
Step 2: Add the candy cane
- Fold the tree in half again, and cut 6 slits along the fold. Each slit should be just over 1/4 inch long. (When you unfold the tree, the slits should be a little less than 3/4" long total) Follow the printable template as a guide for where to place the slits.
- Push the candy cane through each of the slits, so the felt holds the candy cane in place.
Step 3: Decorate the tree
- Rip half the backing off a foam star sticker (leave the backing on the top half of the star). Then press the star onto the top of your felt Christmas tree shape.
- Squeeze a small glob of tacky glue onto the tree.
- Then press on your pom pom, rhinestone or button.
- Keep gluing on the pom poms, etc until your tree is completely decorated.
- Your felt and candy cane Christmas tree gift is complete! Give it to your friends, family or teachers, or hang it on the Christmas tree.
We made green felt trees, but you could make yours any color you like! White, pink, blue or even purple trees would be lots of fun!
Here’s even more DIY Christmas favor ideas:
Our book Low-Mess Crafts for Kids is loaded with 72 fun and simple craft ideas for kids! The projects are fun, easy and most importantly low-mess, so the clean up is simple!