tHi there! It’s Megan from Homemade Ginger and I’m happy to share a cheerful spring craft today! Hopefully this fun idea will get you and your kids in the mood for some warmer weather!
With the season of spring approaching, there are so many reasons for kids to start making (and bringing home) handmade cards, flowers, paintings and all kinds of cute spring projects. I have three girls in school right now and between the three of them, I am inundated with papers and artwork every day. I have to confess that while I love their cute drawings and paintings, sometimes I find myself sneaking them into the recycling bin when no one is watching! While I love helping them make homemade cards for things like Easter or Mother’s Day, I also am aware of the fact that we will just be adding to the overwhelming paper pile.
Keeping this in mind, I love the idea of recycling art projects or paintings into something else. I came up with these fun 3D flowers that can be made out of watercolor paintings. You can go through your kids’ old artwork and cut them up to make these colorful flowers, or make some new watercolor paintings just for this project. Every flower will turn out a little differently which is why this these flowers are so fun!
I was inspired by these paper flowers, but I wanted to make them even more 3-dimensional by using pom poms and pipe cleaners. I also loved the idea of recycling watercolor paintings to make them more special. These would be perfect on the front of a handmade card for Mother’s Day or Easter!
3D Watercolor Flowers
Here are the materials you will need to make this craft:
- Liquid Watercolor Paints
- White Paper
- Paint Brush
- Yellow Pom Poms
- Construction Paper
- Green Pipe Cleaners
- Glue Stick
- Glue Gun
You can make these into all different shapes and sizes!
3D Watercolor Flowers
- Create a watercolor painting. Using liquid watercolors, paint bright strokes on a piece of paper. Cover the the page with color and add paint splatters for a textured effect.
- Once dry, cut the painting into thin strips. The longer the strips, the larger the flowers will be.
- Glue the back of one end of a paper strip onto a piece of construction paper. Fold the other end of the strip over and glue it down to create a loop.
- Repeat the process, with 8 more paper strips, making a loop with each one and gluing them together in the center to form a flower shape.
- Using a glue gun, add a yellow pom pom on top to create the center of the flower.
- Hot glue a green pipe cleaner just under the bottom of the flower to create the stem.
- Your 3D watercolor flower is complete!
These 3D flowers are made with recycled watercolor paintings and are SO easy to make! Perfect handmade card idea for Mother’s Day or Easter!