This harvest hash chex mix is the PERFECT combination of sweet, salty and crunchy. I was a little nervous about the Bugles – I wasn’t sure how they’d fit in with the sweetness, but they taste amazing! My 6 year old has been picking out handfuls of the Bugles saying they’re the best part. She says next time I can leave out the Chex cereal. Ha! I actually think the Chex might be my favourite part though? Along with the Reese’s Pieces… really, the whole combination just works really well together.
It’s so perfect for this time of year – a little bit like comfort food. I’m FREEZING right now. I’m sitting in my office chair with my fluffy fleece housecoat on. It’s cold and it’s raining, but I’m munching on this delicious chex mix, and it’s making me so excited for fall weather! Leaves crunching under your feet. The gorgeous fall colours on the trees. Turtle necks! (I might be a little crazy on that one, but I LOVE when it gets cold enough that I can start wearing turtlenecks again! So cozy.). What can I say? I love this time of year!
I was inspired by the recipe over at The House of Hendrix – except she combined all the ingredients as a sort of trail mix without a sauce. I thought this was just calling out for some kind of sweet and buttery flavouring – a sweet Chex mix, rather than a savory one. And then baking the mixture added to the amazing crunch of the whole thing.
And surprisingly, baking it made the whole house smell delicious!
Halloween Harvest Hash Chex Mix
The full printable recipe is at the end of this post, but here’s what you’ll need:
If you find candy corn too sweet, feel free to leave it out. It tastes AMAZING with just the cereal, pretzels, bugles and Reese’s pieces. But of course, that’s not very much fun for Halloween!
Oh my word. That sauce. A mixture of brown sugar, butter and vanilla extract – it tasted amazing!
I tossed the Chex cereal, the Bugles and the pretzels with the sauce, and baked them as you’d bake regular Chex mix. It’s a big recipe. I had two cookie sheets full like in the photo below.
I’m not the biggest candy corn fan – it’s just soooooo sweet. But it made the Chex mix so pretty! Look at the gorgeous fall colours in there!!
Besides, my candy loving 4 year old ate up all the candy corn pieces from the mix. Funny how between the five of us, everyone had a different favourite.
Be prepared, this makes a big batch. It’s great for a party, or giving away in little treat bags! Or you can store it in an air tight container and you’ll have a yummy snack ready for you all week long.
- ¾ cup Butter, melted
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
For the Mix:
- 1 box Rice Chex [365g (12 oz)]
- 1 bag Bugles [213g (7 oz) bag]
- 4 cups Pretzels
- 1 heaping cup Candy Corn
- 1 heaping cup Candy Corn Pumpkins
- 1 bag Reese's Pieces [230g (8oz)]
- Preheat the oven to 275°F.
- Melt the butter in the microwave in medium bowl or measuring cup.
- Add the brown sugar and vanilla extract and whisk well until combined and dissolved.
- In a VERY large bowl, add the Chex cereal, pretzels and Bugles.
- Pour the sauce over the cereal mixture and toss gently until evenly coated.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide mixture on the two baking sheets and spread in even layers.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool. Then add it to a large bowl, along with the candy corn, pumpkins and Reese's Pieces. Toss to combine.
- Store in airtight container.
This Halloween harvest hash Chex mix is the PERFECT combination of sweet and salty. It tastes sooooooooo good!! And the colours are so beautiful for fall!
If you’re looking for more reasonably healthy fall snack ideas, check out our Apple and Caramel Fall Treats. These are so simple, but so pretty and they make a great alternative to candy at this time of year!