These DIY sock pumpkins are such a fun homemade decoration for fall and Halloween. And they’re really simple to make! They’re soft, festive and a brilliant way to re-use old and mismatched socks!
RELATED: No-Sew Sock Bunnies
DIY Sock Pumpkins
These sock pumpkins are perfect for any loose white socks that you might have lying around. You could also pick up a pack of cheap white or orange socks if you’d like! These little sock pumpkins are so cute for some DIY fall decor. Kids will love making these and you will love pulling them out for fall year after year!
I was inspired by these sock pumpkins, but I wanted to try an orange version! Since I knew it would be hard to find orange socks, I ended up getting white and dyeing them myself. It was so easy and worked perfectly!
Here’s the Supplies You’ll Need:
The full printable instructions are at the end of this post, but here’s a list of affiliate links to products on Amazon that are similar to the supplies we used to make this craft:
How to Make Pumpkins Out of Socks
For an easy DIY Halloween craft that kids will love, turn socks into pumpkins with just a few materials!
DIY Sock Pumpkins
- Sewing needle
- Glue Gun
- 1 tube sock white
- fabric dye orange
- 4 feet thread orange
- 2-3 cups stuffing
- 1 stick 2-3 inches long
- 1 pipe cleaner green
- Already have a pair of orange socks? Skip ahead to step 3.
- Dye a pair of clean, white tube socks, following the directions on the package of orange dye.
- When the socks are dyed and dry, cut off the entire foot of the sock at the ankle and discard it. You should be left with about 4 to 6 inches of the part of the sock that goes up the leg. Turn this piece inside out and gather one end. Stitch the end closed with a needle and thread.
- Turn the sock right side out and add stuffing into the sock until it's about 2/3 full.
- Fold about 1 inch of the open end of the sock down towards the inside of the sock.
- Gather the sock in the center to close the remaining opening. Stitch it closed with the needle and thread. Hot glue will also work for this step.
- Stick the needle through the center of the pumpkin and bring it through the bottom. Repeat this step 6 times around the entire pumpkin to create creases that look like wedges. Orange yarn or embroidery thread will also work for this step. Squish the pumpkin down as you bring the thread around the sides of the pumpkin.
- Using a glue gun, attach the stick to the top of the pumpkin as the stem.
- Cut a green pipe cleaner to be about 6 inches long. Wind the pipe cleaner around a pencil to create a spiral vine. Using a glue gun, attach the vine to the top, next to the stem.
- Your DIY sock pumpkin is complete!
Do I really need to dye the socks?
Nope! Dying the socks is a quick and easy solution if you can’t find orange socks. But there are definitely other options.
You can get orange socks on Amazon here. Or you can easily use white, gray, or even tan socks to make your pumpkins. A white sock pumpkin doesn’t have to be plain! Try drawing a pumpkin face onto it when you’re done to give them some personality!
What can I use to stuff the sock?
These easy DIY pumpkins made from socks are so festive and so simple to make! You’ll LOVE pulling these adorable sock pumpkins out each year for some fun holiday decor!
Here’s even more sock crafts to try!
Be sure to check out our book Low-Mess Crafts for Kids for 72 fun and simple craft ideas for kids! The projects are fun, easy and most importantly low-mess, so the clean up is simple!
Where to buy:
You can purchase Low-Mess Crafts for Kids from Amazon, or wherever books are sold: