This recipe for baked apples slices is so EASY and tastes delicious! With a hint of cinnamon, this is a perfect, comforting dessert for fall and winter.
RELATED: Apple Crisp Stuffed Apples
Baked Cinnamon Apple Slices
This simple apple dessert is perfect for the colder months. It has the same comfort you’d associate with apple pie or apple crisp, but without the fuss.
It makes the house smell amazing, AND it’s kid friendly – especially if you top your sliced baked apples with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Slicing the apples and coating them with the delicious butter and sugar mixture is so much easier than a traditional whole baked apple recipe. And it adds so much flavour to the apples!
Video Tutorial: Baked Apple Slices
*Note: The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post.
Looking for more delicious apple recipes? Here’s a few of our favourites:
Here’s What You’ll Need:
You only need 4 ingredients:
- Honeycrisp/Fuji/Gala Apples (Sliced)
- Brown Sugar
What apples are best for baked apple slices?
We used Honeycrisp apples in the recipe you see in the photos. Honeycrisp apples are sweet and tender and keep their shape while baking. I recommend using Honeycrisp, Gala, Red Delicious or Fuji apples for this recipe. You can use one type of apple or choose a couple varieties to mix together.
With so many varieties of apples out there, it’s easy to get a bit overwhelmed with which ones to use for specific recipes. Some apples never quite soften up while others turn to mush when you cook them (Macintosh apples are probably not going to work here). Some are more tart (like Granny Smith) while others are known for tasting sweet (like Honeycrisp).
What to serve with sliced baked apples?
You can eat the apples fresh out of the oven on their own. (Don’t forget to top them with a spoonful of the delicious, buttery liquid at the bottom of the dish!) Or you can serve your sliced baked apples with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
You can also pour heavy cream on top, or add a spoonful of vanilla yogurt. Whipped cream is also a delicious option! My mother used to serve baked apples with custard.
Baked apple slices paired with something creamy and cool will always be a winning combination.
Baked Apple Slices Recipe
The key with this recipe is to bake your apples so they keep their shape but can easily be cut with a fork or spoon.
These healthy baked apple slices can be re-heated in the oven or microwave and they taste just as good… if there’s any leftovers to begin with!
Baked Apple Slices Recipe
- 3 apples (Honeycrisp or Fuji)
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar packed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Slice the apples into wedges that are about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick at the widest part. (The thicker the apple slices, the longer they'll need to cook).
- Combine the melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Mix well until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a large bowl, add the apples, then pour the butter/sugar mixture over top. Mix gently until each apple is coated with the mixture.
- Pour the coated apples into the baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. The buttery mixture pools at the bottom, so stirring makes sure the apples stay moist and covered in flavour as they bake.
- The baked apples are done when they're soft enough to cut with a spoon. Enjoy!
As I was finishing up the dishes last night, my 5 year old ate every last one of the leftover apple slices that were sitting on the counter. Not a single leftover in sight!
These baked apple slices are SO GOOD and they’re really easy to make! With only 4 ingredients you can make this delicious, gluten free dessert in no time. This is such a great dessert recipe and a super comforting treat in winter. These baked cinnamon apple slices will satisfy any craving for apple pie without the fuss of actually making one!
Here’s even more of our favourite apple recipes:
Our book Low-Mess Crafts for Kids is loaded with 72 fun and simple craft ideas for kids! The projects are fun, easy and most importantly low-mess, so the clean up is simple!