These pom pom hedgehogs are SO CUTE and incredibly simple to make! No special tools are needed to make the pom pom, and you can use our printable template for the hedgehog body. So easy!!
Pom Pom Hedgehogs
Hedgehogs are just about as cute as their spines are sharp. These small animals are best known for their spiky quills, but did you know that each hedgehog has at least 5000 of them?! Hedgehogs also lose their baby spines, just like we lose baby teeth!
We think these pom pom hedgehogs are just as adorable as the real thing. We love the cute little eye and pom pom nose! A DIY pom pom gives our hedgehog the perfect look (except ours is nice and soft instead of prickly).
The pom pom is made simply using yarn and your hand. And no need to worry about creating the perfect hedgehog shape. We’ve included a printable template for the body, which we used to make our hedgehogs!
Check out our Pom Pom Hedgehog video tutorial:
*Note: Scroll down for the step-by-step photo tutorial.
Looking for more pom pom craft ideas? Here’s some of our favourites:
Here’s what you’ll need:
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission which helps us run this website.
The full printable instructions are at the end of this post, but here’s a list of products on Amazon that are similar to the supplies we used:
Grab the free printable template here:
Click the link below to open the pdf template. Then print it onto regular printer paper.
Do I have to use the hedgehog template?
Using the template makes creating your hedgehog super easy. But no, you definitely don’t have to use the template! Feel free to be creative and draw your own hedgehog shape.
What type of yarn is best to use?
We used acrylic yarn, and it was really easy to work with. You can also use cotton yarn. The ends of the cotton yarn come apart a little bit, which gives the hedgehog a really cool spiky look.
Our favourite type of yarn to use for homemade pom poms is chunky acrylic yarn, like we used for our Pom Pom Penguins. Since the chunky yarn is so thick, you only need half the amount of yarn. It also makes the pom poms look really full!
Is there an easier way to make a pom pom?
Some people find it easier to use a pom pom maker. You can find them at Walmart, Amazon, or any craft store.
You could also cut a rectangle of cardboard to be about 2 inches wide and wrap the yarn around the cardboard instead of around your fingers.
We make our pom poms with our hands because we like to avoid pulling out extra tools if we can. But the other methods are great if you like to have both your hands free while you’re crafting.
Pom Pom Hedgehogs
- Yarn (brown, or any colour you choose)
- 1 Googly eye (7mm)
- 1 Pom pom (12mm)
Step 1: Make a pom pom
- Cut a piece of yarn about 14 inches long. Slide it between your middle fingers. Let it dangle down towards your wrist so it doesn't get in the way.
- Wrap the yarn from the ball of yarn around 3 of your fingers (4 fingers for a child's hand). Wind it around these three fingers 100 times.
- Take the first piece of yarn (that you slipped between your fingers), and tie it around the middle of the yarn, just tight enough to keep the yarn together.
- Slide the yarn off your fingers. Tie the loose yarn ends together as tightly as you can, making a knot to keep it in place.
- Carefully slide sharp scissors into the loops and cut them, working your way around the circle until all the loops are cut.
- Give your pom pom a "haircut"! Trim the ends of the yarn, making your way around the pom pom until it is round and even. Don't trim the loose ends of yarn holding the pom pom together since we'll be using those to tie it to the body.
Step 2: Cut out the hedgehog body
- Using the printable template, trace the hedgehog body shape on cardstock and cut it out.
- Cut a 1 inch slit on the top and bottom of the hedgehog's body.
Step 3: Put the hedgehog together
- Attach the pom pom to the body by slipping the two longer strands of yarn through the slits in the hedgehog's body. Tie the yarn together in the back, knotting it in place. Cut off any extra yarn.
- Using crafters tape or glue, attach the googly eye to the hedgehog's face.
- Using crafters tape or glue, attach the small pom pom to the face for the hedgehog's nose.
- Your pom pom hedgehog is complete!
These pom pom hedgehogs are so cute! Best of all, they’re simple to make, using basic craft supplies. Make one in traditional brown shades, or experiment and make rainbow coloured hedgehogs. Either way, you’ll love playing with these soft and fluffy pom pom animals.
Here’s even more pom pom craft ideas:
Our book Low-Mess Crafts for Kids is loaded with 72 fun and simple craft ideas for kids! The projects are fun, easy and most importantly low-mess, so the clean up is simple!
Where to buy:
You can purchase Low-Mess Crafts for Kids from Amazon, or wherever books are sold:
Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Books- A- Million | Indiebound | Indigo | Amazon Canada
Let us know what you think: