Hello! I’m Megan and I blog over at Homemade Ginger where I post DIY projects, craft tutorials, home decor ideas and more! I’m all about creating lovely things without spending a lot of money.
I don’t know about you, but this is the time of year when school pictures are being sent home. This year, I have 2 elementary daughters and one in preschool who all had school photos. We received all the photos in one day and I was immediately overtaken by dozens of adorable photos. I always feel like I need to buy some, but then when they come I never know what on earth I am going to do with so many pictures! So, I’m constantly finding ways and places to stick those little photos or ways to give them away. You will currently find them on the fridge, in some photo coasters, stuck in a few frames and strewn across the dining room table at my home. Please tell me I’m not the only one!
The good news is that I came up with one more way to use up those school pictures! These pom pom Christmas photo ornaments are the perfect way to display some of those adorable pictures on your tree for years to come, or give as a gift! And since your kids can make them, that’s even better!
When I think of kids Christmas crafts, pom poms always come to mind. I’ve used them in my own holiday crafting and it’s always a hit. A few years ago, I made some Anthropologie inspired pom pom gift wrap and my kids loved helping out.
The little poms are so easy for little toddler fingers to grasp and press down into glue and it always makes for a cute craft in the end. I was inspired by these pom pom ornaments from Skip to My Lou and decided to put my own spin on it by testing out some other festive shapes!
Pom Pom Christmas Photo Ornaments
The full printable craft is at the end of this post, but here is what you will need:
These adorable keepsakes make great gifts, and look so lovely hanging on the tree!
These would also be so cute tied on the outside of a gift as part of the gift tag and bow!
Pom Pom Christmas Photo Ornaments
- Glue Gun
- White craft glue
- Craft knife
- 1 cardboard cereal box
- pom poms (any colour)
- 1 photos
- 1 piece ribbon or twine (6 inches)
- Using a piece of cardboard, draw or trace out a shape like a star or a circle. Find something circular like a juice cap to fit the center.
- Cut out the shapes with a craft knife. Everything will be covered up with pom poms, so it doesn’t matter if it’s not perfect!
- Working in sections, begin applying craft glue and placing the pom poms on the ornament.
- After the craft glue has dried, attach a 6 inch piece of twine or ribbon to the back of the ornament with a glue gun.
- Next, cut a photo to fit the hole in the center and use the glue gun to attach it on the back so the face is framed in the hole from the front.
- Your pom pom photo ornament is complete!
These pom pom Christmas photo ornaments are SO EASY for kids to make and would make the perfect addition to any tree this holiday!
If you’re looking for more fun and easy pom pom Christmas ornaments, check out our Pom Poms and Pinecones Ornaments. These are so simple to make and they look surprisingly beautiful when they’re done!
Our book Low-Mess Crafts for Kids is loaded with 72 fun and simple craft ideas for kids! The projects are fun, easy and most importantly low-mess, so the clean up is simple!