Make a macrame ghost using our free step by step photo and video tutorials! This macrame ghost is both spooky and sweet, and it’s SO EASY to make, perfect for macrame beginners.
Use a similar technique to our macrame rainbow and add a face made from black felt to create this ghoulish decoration. It’s such a cute way to add a boho vibe to your Halloween decor!
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission which helps us run this website.
How to Make a Macrame Ghost
Check Out The Video Tutorial:
Step 1: Find what you need
- Gather your supplies and materials.
Step 2: Make the inside of the macrame ghost
- Cut a piece of 8mm macrame rope to be 14 inches long.
- Unravel the piece of 8mm cord into three separate pieces and place them together.
- Keep the 2mm cord attached to the spool and arrange it so there's two lengths of cord alongside the 8mm cord, with a loop at the right.
- Bring the thin cords and thick cords together into a bundle, keeping them in roughly in the same position as shown in the previous step. Pinch the cords together to hold them in place. Then wind the long end of the 2mm cord (attached to the spool) around the cord bundle, starting 3 to 4 inches in from the end.
- Continue to wind the 2mm cord tightly and evenly around the bundle until you're 3 to 4 inches from the other end. (It should match the length on the other side.)Then cut off the 2mm cord from the spool, leaving about 2 inches extra.
- Put the end of the cord you just cut through the loop of 2mm cord you created at the beginning. (It should be near the end you just finished).
- Now pull the cord from the other side (where you started wrapping). Pull until the loop and cord end disappear inside the wrapping.
- Once the loop is hidden inside the wrapped cord, cut off the extra cord as close to the wrapping as possible.
- Bend the wrapped cords into a closed arch. This will be the middle of the ghost.
Step 3: Make the middle part of the ghost
- Cut a piece of 8mm macrame rope to be 15 inches long.
- Repeat the instructions in Step 2 to wrap these cords.
- Don't cut the cord until you measure the arches to make sure they line up. Match up the first end of the wrapped parts. Then wrap the outer arch around the inner arch. Remove a few windings or add more windings until the wrapped ends line up in a straight line. (Where our finger is shown in the photo).
- Finish this arch in the same way as the first, bringing the cord through the loop and pulling it to secure the cord.
Step 4: Make the outer arch of the ghost
- For the outside layer of the ghost, cut a 24 inch piece of braided 8mm macrame cord.
- Wrap the cord in the same way as the other two arches. When you're finished, line up the center of this long arch with the top center of the other two arches.Pinch out a small section of cord on either side to make ghost arms and check that the wrapped sections line up on the bottom before cutting and tying off.
Step 5: Glue the macrame ghost together
- Add hot glue to the inside of the smallest arch.
- Line up the bottom edges and push the arch together, holding it in place until the glue is dry enough to hold.
- Arrange the middle arch around the outside of the center arch. Apply a thin line of glue, about 2 inches long, to the center inside of the middle arch.
- Continue adding hot glue every couple of inches until the two pieces are completely connected. Again, hold it in place until dry.
- Next, add the largest outside piece of the ghost. Begin by lining up the right edges and gluing a couple inches together.
- Now line up the left side and attach a couple inches on that side.
- Find the center of the outside arch and glue this to the top of the middle arch.
- The arm shapes should form naturally. Add glue to the inside of one arm before pushing the two parts together.
- Glue the second arm together and then add glue to any other sections of the ghost that aren't yet secure.
Step 6: Add a ghost face and trim the fringe
- From the black felt, cut out two eyes and a mouth shape.
- Use hot glue to attach the ghost's face.
- Trim the bottom of the fringe so that it's even.
- Your macrame ghost is complete!
- Make a smaller outer arch and glue it completely around to create a “Pacman” style ghost without arms.
- Choose the length of fringe you’d like your macrame ghost to have! If you’d like a longer fringe than what our pictures show, cut the braided cord longer to start with.
How can I hang up my macrame ghost?
You can cut a 12 inch piece of 2mm cord and tie it into a looped hanger. Wrap it around the outer arch before gluing the ghost together.
What size macrame ghost does this make?
If you follow our tutorial you should end up with a 4-1/2 inch tall ghost with a fringe of at least 3 inches. We also made a smaller ghost without arms that’s 3-1/2 inches tall (6-1/2 with fringe).
The exact size will depend on the thickness of your cords. You may need to adjust the lengths and sizes slightly.
Can I make this Halloween macrame craft without felt?
If you don’t have felt to make the ghost’s face you can cut a ghost face from craft foam sheets, cardstock, or even construction paper.
Or put tacky glue on the front of the ghost in the shape of the mouth and eyes you want. Place black macrame cord (or yarn) around the outside of the glue spot. Keep adding more cord inside the last row and work your way in, in a spiral to the center, before cutting off the cord.
Where is the best place to buy macrame cord?
Craft stores like Michaels should have a small selection of macrame cord to choose from. Both Amazon and Etsy sell a large selection of cord colours and sizes.
You can also Google search “macrame cord (your city here)” and find local stores or websites based in your area devoted solely to macrame.
What else can I make with macrame cord?
Be sure to check out all of our fun and easy macrame projects!
These friendly macrame ghosts are so much fun to make! Choose what type of face to give your spirit friend, making each one unique!
We made our ghost wall hangings in traditional white, but you can make whatever colour ghost you’d like. Try making one from orange macrame cord and giving it a jack-o-lantern face to make a pumpkin ghost!
Here’s even more macrame craft ideas:
Our book Low-Mess Crafts for Kids is loaded with 72 fun and simple craft ideas for kids! The projects are fun, easy and most importantly low-mess, so the clean up is simple!