Hello again! It’s Megan from Homemade Ginger and I’m back to share an easy pumpkin craft just in time for the arrival of fall! You will love how easy these pumpkins are to make and best of all, even the tiniest of hands can help add their fingerprints to these sweet little pumpkins!
I have three girls and then a little 2 year old boy. My youngest daughter just started full day Kindergarten last week. It has been quite an adjustment to go from 4 kids in the house all summer to just one toddler. In fact, I haven’t had just one child at home in over 8 years! My kids are spaced in such a way that I’ve always had at least 2 at home with me once they reached school age. Although I miss my girls like crazy during the day, I am having so much fun with just my son. I had forgotten what it was like to spend so much one-on-one time with a toddler. He is used to having 3 sisters to keep him entertained during the day, but now it’s up to me to keep him happy!
I have been on the hunt for easy crafts and activities that toddlers can do. I love fingerprint crafts because kids of all ages can do them, even tiny toddlers! My son loved dipping his finger into paint to help make the fingerprints for these pumpkins. They turned out so beautifully and when you make them on a nice thick canvas like I did, they can be pulled out each year for some cheerful fall decor!
All you need are a handful of supplies to make these fingerprint pumpkins. The contact paper makes a perfect pumpkin with crisp edges after you peel it off. It’s so satisfying!
Here is what you will need to make this craft:
- Craft Paint
- Clear Contact Paper
- Small Canvases
- Printable Pumpkin Outline (optional)
Have fun experimenting with different color combinations. Each one turns out so beautifully. I love how the paint creates a marble effect when the colors mix.
Your toddler or big kid will love helping with this fall craft!
- 3 bottles craft paint (red, orange, yellow)
- 1 roll contact paper (clear)
- 1 5x5 canvas
- Cut a piece of clear contact paper that measures the same size as the canvas. Draw a pumpkin shape on the contact paper.
- Cut out the pumpkin shape using scissors or a craft knife.
- Carefully remove the backing and lay the paper sticky side down onto the canvas. Make sure to press down along the entire surface of the contact paper to make sure it's fully adhered, and centered on the canvas.
- Squeeze some of each colour paint onto a paper plate or plastic paint palette. Dip a finger into the first colour and make dots all around the exposed canvas.
- Continue to layer the second and third colored fingerprints, wiping your finger off between each shade.
- Once all of the fingerprints are layered, carefully remove the contact paper while the paint is still wet.
- Once removed, the paper will reveal a perfectly painted pumpkin shape.
- Your fingerprint pumpkin is complete!
These fingerprint pumpkins are perfect for all ages and will make a great addition to your fall decor this year!