I have to admit, I love trying new dinner recipes, but when it comes to baking sweets and treats, I’m just not very adventurous. Even when we have a family get together, I’m the first person to volunteer to bring an appetizer, or a vegetable side dish, or even a fancy salad. But when someone asks me to bring a dessert, I’m a little lost.
This recipe for chocolate eclair cake is going to be my new, favourite, go-to recipe though! It’s quick, it’s easy to make and it tastes AMAZING! And best of all, you don’t even have to bake it! It tastes just like a chocolate eclair (and who doesn’t love chocolate eclairs!?), but in the form of a cake. And it has gorgeous, creamy and delicious layers. Mmmmm… Are you drooling yet? Because I sure am!
I remember when I was a kid, every once in awhile, my mom would buy us chocolate eclairs as a special treat. It wasn’t very often, but when she did, we were so excited! My sister and I would suck out the cream and lick off the chocolate glaze. I’m sure we ate the pastry too, but it was all about that dreamy filling…
My 6 year old daughter came home from school right after I made this, and she was begging for a slice. The hardest part about this eclair cake is that you have to let it set in the refrigerator overnight. My daughter was NOT impressed that she had to wait! But I let her eat a slice for breakfast the next morning, so I think that helped make up for it.
No-Bake Chocolate Eclair Cake
This recipe is PERFECT if you need to take a dessert somewhere. It’s great for pot lucks, barbecues, or any family get together. It transports easily, and it’s a total crowd pleaser.
The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post, but here’s what you’ll need:
- Graham Crackers
- Instant Vanilla Pudding
- Whipping Cream
- Vanilla Extract
Whip the cream for about 4 minutes on medium-high speed until it turns into whipped cream. If you don’t like your desserts too sweet, feel free to skip the extra sugar at this point. It will be plenty sweet when you add it to the pudding mixture.
After you’ve mixed the instant pudding with the milk, add the whipping cream and mix it all together. If you’re short on time, you could even substitute the whipped cream with a tub of Cool Whip instead. But in my humble opinion, everything tastes better when it’s made from fresh ingredients.
Line the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with a layer of graham crackers. It uses up almost an entire sleeve.
Pour half the pudding and whipped cream mixture on the layer of graham crackers.
Spread it out in an even layer using a spatula.
Repeat by adding another layer of graham crackers.
And the rest of the pudding mixture.
And finally, top it with another layer of graham crackers. I used up EXACTLY one box (or 3 sleeves) of graham crackers with none to spare. I was panicking a little at the end, because if any of them had crumbled I wouldn’t have been able to finish my top layer. If nothing else, it’s always nice when there’s no waste!
I love this chocolate glaze! It settled perfectly over top of the graham crackers in an even and smooth layer!
I had to tilt the dish a little bit to make sure all the corners were completely covered, but it spread out pretty well on it’s own.
Mmmmm… Doesn’t it look delicious already from the side of the dish!?
You’ll need to put it in the refrigerator over night for the graham crackers to soften.
But man oh man, when it comes out of the fridge the next day it’s DELICIOUS!
It tastes just like a chocolate eclair, but in a cake! And it’s way easier to make!
Just look at those delicious, creamy layers!!!
Chocolate Eclair Cake (No-Bake)
- 1-3/4 cups whipping cream
- Optional - 3 Tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 boxes instant vanilla pudding 4 servings each
- 3 cups milk
- 1 box graham crackers 3 sleeves
For the filling:
- In a 9" x 13" dish, cover the entire bottom with a layer of graham crackers. (Approximately 1 full sleeve).
- In a medium bowl, add the whipping cream (and optional 3 Tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract). Beat on medium-high speed for approximately 4 minutes until it turns into whipped cream.
- In a large bowl, add 3 cups of milk and the 2 boxes of vanilla pudding. Beat it on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Stir the whipping cream mixture into the pudding mixture until smooth and well combined.
- Add half the pudding mixture over the bottom graham cracker layer in the 9" x 13" dish. Use a spatula to spread it evenly over the graham crackers.
- Repeat with another layer of graham crackers and the rest of the pudding mixture.
- Add a final layer of graham crackers on top.
For the topping:
- In a small pot, add the cocoa, milk and sugar and bring to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let cool for 1 minute. Keep stirring.
- Add the butter and vanilla, stirring until the butter is melted and it forms a smooth chocolate glaze.
- Immediately pour over the top layer of graham crackers. It will spread out on its own, but tilt the dish as needed so that the entire top is covered.
- Refrigerate over night.
This no-bake chocolate eclair cake is SO EASY! And it tastes amaaaaaazing!! It tastes just like a chocolate eclair, but in a cake. And it has gorgeous, creamy and delicious layers. Mmmm… It’s definitely a crowd pleaser!