Hello again! It’s Alicia from The Baker Upstairs, and I have another fantastic recipe to share with you. This blueberry buttermilk breakfast cake is so delicious, and so easy to make!
Confession time: Is there a chore that you just hate doing? For me, that chore is grocery shopping. I know it’s totally ridiculous, since I’m a food blogger! I had a system worked out that was working fairly well for me, but since we moved a few months ago, I haven’t been able to get back in my groove. It’s become something I dread every week. That is, until a few weeks ago, when I discovered the joy of grocery pick up! My local store has an option to order groceries online, then pick them up at the store the next day. I just pull in, they swipe my card, and then they load the groceries in the back of my car. It’s so easy and simple, and I don’t have to spend an hour wandering around the store any more. It’s a win-win!
Having grocery pick up has also made me a lot more aware of the weekly specials at the grocery store, since I can easily check the price online of any items I need at the store. This week, fresh blueberries were on sale for a killer price, so I decided to stock up. We’ve been eating blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes all week, and I’ve been packing them in the kids’ lunches. This blueberry buttermilk breakfast cake is definitely my favorite recipe I’ve made with them, though!
I was inspired by this amazing blueberry breakfast cake from Saving Dessert, but I decided to make a few little changes and added a buttery crisp streusel to the top of the cake. It was definitely a good move!
Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake
The full printable recipe is at the end of the post, but here’s what you’ll need:
- lemon zest
- baking powder
- fresh blueberries
The fresh blueberries are definitely the star of this recipe! If you absolutely can’t find any fresh berries, then frozen berries would work too, although they may stain the batter purple. Just be sure to leave them frozen so they don’t turn to mush while you’re mixing the cake.
You’ll start by mixing up a quick and simple batter, then spreading it in a greased cake pan. I baked mine in a springform pan so it would be easier to remove from the pan, but a regular cake pan would work well too. Next, you’ll make the delicious streusel to sprinkle on top. You could leave the streusel off, of course, but I definitely think it takes the recipe over the top!
The cake comes out of the oven golden brown around the edges, with a little crunch from the streusel on top. The inside of the cake is light and fluffy, while the edges are just slightly crisp.
This cake makes for a delicious breakfast or brunch treat, but it’s also a fabulous simple dessert. I like that it’s not overly sweet, and the combination of the fresh blueberries with the little hint of lemon zest is totally delicious!
This blueberry buttermilk breakfast cake is so light and tender, while still sturdy enough to hold itself together. It’s also unbelievably easy to make! It will definitely be a new favorite with your family, just like it is with mine!
Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest from one medium lemon
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups + 1 tablespoon flour divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the streusel:
- 2 tablespoons cold butter cut into pieces
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease an 8" x 8" square baking dish or a 9 inch cake pan, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest. Rub the zest into the sugar with your fingers, until fragrant. Add the butter and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 cups flour, the baking powder, and the salt. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mix until nearly combined, then add half of the buttermilk. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture and buttermilk, ending with the flour.
- In a small bowl, toss together the blueberries and flour. Add the blueberries to the cake batter, and gently fold in, being careful not to crush the blueberries. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- To make the streusel, combine the butter, flour, sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until the pieces are no larger than pea sized. Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted two inches from the side of the pan comes out clean. Let cool slightly before serving.
This delicious blueberry buttermilk breakfast cake is loaded with juicy blueberries and topped with a buttery streusel. It’s perfect for breakfast or anytime!
If you’re looking for more amazing blueberry recipes, be sure to check out our list of the 50+ Best Blueberry Recipes! I don’t even know where to start…