These beaded pipe cleaner shamrocks are so easy to make and they’re so fun for St. Patrick’s Day! All you need are pipe cleaners and beads and you can make these little good luck charms in less than 15 minutes.
Pipe Cleaner Shamrock with Beads
This pipe cleaner shamrock craft is a super fun craft for kids and a great activity for working on fine motor skills.
You can fill up the pipe cleaners with beads, just like I did. Or you can choose to add just a few beads to the pipe cleaners (I’ll show you pictures of the one my daughter made below). It’s totally up to you!
Video Tutorial: How to Make Beaded Pipe Cleaner Shamrocks
*Note: Scroll down for the step-by-step photo tutorial.
Have the beads and pipe cleaners out already? Here’s even more simple crafts you can make with them:
Here’s What You’ll Need:
Here are some affiliate links to similar materials from Amazon that you could use:
All you need are 3 green pipe cleaners and some green plastic pony beads!
You can definitely find pipe cleaners at the dollar store. Sometimes you can find pony beads at the dollar store too. Otherwise you can get them at any craft store or on Amazon.
My 7 year old made the light green pipe cleaner shamrock with beads in the photo below all by herself. She was so proud of it and begged me to show you what hers looks like!
If you don’t want to bead the entire length of pipe cleaner that’s okay! My daughter only beaded 2 of the pipe cleaners, and only added a few beads to each one, and it still looked great!
You can use any number of beads and any shamrock pony bead pattern that you like!
How to Make Beaded Pipe Cleaner Shamrocks
I love how cute and easy these little shamrocks are! This is such a fun craft for St. Patrick’s Day! Or any other time of year when you want to make a little good luck charm.
Pipe Cleaner Shamrock with Beads
- 3 Pipe cleaners (green, 12 inch)
- 75 Pony beads (green)
- Line up the ends of all 3 pipe cleaners then twist them together.
- Starting at one end, twist the pipe cleaners together along a 4 inch length. Then spread apart the 3 open ends of the pipe cleaner.
- Add about 25 pony beads to each pipe cleaner. It doesn't have to be exactly 25, but it does help to make the shamrock look uniform if you count the beads to make sure there's an equal number of beads on each one.
- After you've added the beads, take the end of one of the beaded pipe cleaners and bend it into a loop. Twist the end of the pipe cleaner onto the opposite end to close the loop.
- Repeat for the other 2 pipe cleaners. You'll have 3 loops with a 1 inch length of twisted pipe cleaner before the main stem.
- Twist the 3 loops together at the top of the stem.
- Twist until the loops sit tight on the end of the stem without a gap.
- Bend the end of the stem upwards and back onto itself to shorten it so that the stem is only about 2 to 3 inches long.
- Twist all the pipe cleaners in the stem together.
- Bend and shape the pipe cleaners - both the loops and the stem - until you're happy with the shape of your shamrock!
I was making these shamrocks while sitting on my office floor the other day (because that’s where my best crafting is done!). And before I knew it, all 3 of my kids were sitting on the floor with me, making various things out of pipe cleaners and beads.
My 7 and 10 year olds were able to make these beaded pipe cleaner shamrocks all by themselves. My 5 year old loved the idea of making these, but in the end, he had one yellow pipe cleaner filled with yellow beads that he wrapped into a knot. lol Not quite what we were going for, but he was thrilled!
There’s no rules when you’re making crafts!
These beaded pipe cleaner shamrocks are SO CUTE and they’re so easy to make! This is such a great St. Patrick’s Day craft and a super fun spring activity for kids. Using dollar store supplies you can make these little good luck charms in less than 15 minutes!
Here are even more beaded pipe cleaner crafts to keep you busy!
Our book Low-Mess Crafts for Kids is loaded with 72 fun and simple craft ideas for kids! The projects are fun, easy and most importantly low-mess, so the clean up is simple!