Hi there! It’s Megan from Homemade Ginger and I can’t believe I’m sharing a back to school craft today! It seems crazy that the back to school season is already upon us. Didn’t summer just start??
I don’t know about you, but my kids always want a new backpack and lunch box every year. Since I am usually a super thrifty shopper, the thought of purchasing a new backpack when theirs is still perfectly acceptable to use again makes me cringe. Instead of shelling out more money each year, I like to find ways to jazz up their backpacks and school supplies that are in still good condition. That way, it still seems a little more exciting and new to them, and mama gets to save money! Everyone is happy.
I love using these small plastic animals from the dollar store for all sorts of crafts, like my animal canvases. These backpack charms are such a fun back to school project to spice up those old backpacks that us thrifty moms are making their kids reuse from the year before. Kids can customize colors and animals to match their school colors or the colors on their backpacks. Add some to their lunch boxes too!
I was inspired by these charms but wanted to make them a little more simple so that kids could make most of it all by themselves and easily clip onto their backpack! They are super easy to put together.
The full instructions are at the bottom of this post, but here is what you will need:
- Small plastic animals
- Acrylic Paint
- Paint Brush
- Eye hooks
These cute and colourful charms will look so sweet hanging on your child’s backpack!
- Paint a small plastic animal with a paint brush and a couple coats of acrylic paint.
- Once the paint is dry, make a small hole in the top of the animal using a nail or screw.
- Push an eye hook through the hole and twist until it's secure. Thread some yarn through the eye hook, and tie or braid it (optional.)
- Attach the clip to the opposite end of the yarn.
- Make and attach a pom pom if desired.
- Your backpack charm is complete!
These backpack charms couldn’t be easier to create and kids of all ages will love jazzing up their backpacks with them this back to school season!